GFCI Tripping

Old 10-18-20, 11:20 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Tripping

Hi All,

Desperately needing some help with my GFCI outlet. Some back story in case itís relevant. I woke up today with 3/4 of my house not having power. I checked the breakers, and they all looked good. Was able to narrow it down to the GFCI outlet in my bathroom as the cause. Figured it was just an old switch, as Iíve never had this issue before and nothing new was added to the load in the house (no new appliances plugged in, etc). Bought a new switch, and wired it up the same as the old. Power is now restored to the rest of the house. However is still trips when I turn on the light fixture (outlet works when switch is off, and doesnít throw a breaker). I checked the light fixture wiring and all appears correctly wired. I double checked the line/load wires were correct as well (I believe) See attached for pictures. Please any help would be appreciated, as Iíve spend all day trying to figure it out.

Old 10-18-20, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,323 Votes on 1,223 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I took care of your other thread.

Can we assume the red wire that is capped is not being used ?
If this GFI receptacle protected other receptacles.... then you have made incorrect changes to the wiring.

Move the white wire so that you have both white wires on the LINE neutral connection.
The wires are not meant to be wrapped. Those terminals are designed to have the wires sent straight in from the back. Straighten both white wires and connect them to the LINE terminal.

Old 10-18-20, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Your ground wire splice also needs to be fixed. It cannot just wrap the wires together and call it good, it needs to have a wire nut or crimp on the splice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: