Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Two of three bedrooms on same circuit breaker have no power

Old 10-18-20, 01:34 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Lost power in two bedrooms (light and outlets) plus an outlet in the hall and one in another bedroom, but not our hall ceiling lights that are all on the same circuit. Checked the breaker (flipped on and off) and nothing, no power back on. Checked all four GFCIs in nothing tripped but did reset. A GCFI tester showed hot/grnd reversed. Two light switches were floppy so I replaced them. Checked and replaced all but three outlets (ran out of new outlets) still no power. Only change in our household wiring recently was a replaced outdoor light which is functioning properly and on a completely different circuit.

Really stumped.

Old 10-18-20, 03:56 PM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
You need to use a voltmeter or test light and start at the source and find where the power ends.

Old 10-18-20, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A GCFI tester showed hot/grnd reversed
Where..... plugged into a regular but dead receptacle ?
That would indicate an open neutral in the circuit.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-18-20, 05:36 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Hot ground reverse is usually an indication of an open neutral.
Check for a loose connection. It could be in a working device. Back stab pushin connections are often the source of this type of problem. Move any back stab connections to the screw terminals.

Old 10-18-20, 08:10 PM
D
Yes, it was plugged into an outlet with the circuit breaker on. The colors on the testers three lights were red, no light and amber.

I've replaced nearly all outlets on the circuit. I made a new cut for nearly all of the wires.

I'll continue to troubleshoot with the meter.

Old 10-18-20, 08:12 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Do not overlook switches and light fixtures as the possible source of the problem.

Old 10-23-20, 11:21 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Yes, it was plugged into an outlet with the circuit breaker on. The colors on the testers three lights were red, no light and amber.
Think about this just a few minutes. If there were no power at the outlet the lights on the tester wouldn't work. That leaves only the logical conclusion that you don't have a neutral.

Old 10-30-20, 03:12 PM
D
Thanks everyone for the guidance. I was able to resolve the issue. I found an outlet with one of the white wires not plugged in. The outlet was behind a bookcase. We've not used that particular outlet in maybe 10 years.

Old 10-31-20, 03:59 AM
A
Received 163 Upvotes on 136 Posts
DMK1971: "Back Stabbing" - this is why we strongly discourage the use of back stabbing wires into devices. Over time the mechanism wears and does not hold the wire as firmly as it should for a good solid connection. If you find any more receptacles like that move the wires to the screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: