In Use outdoor Box Issue-help please

Old 10-20-20, 09:57 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In Use outdoor Box Issue-help please

Recently bought a fiberglass waterfall for my garden. it has integral LED lights. I installed as follows:

Tied into existing power in garage via junction box, from box installed single pole switch in garage so i would not need to plug and unplug waterfall rather simply throw a switch. Exited garage via small hole drilled in Hardi Panel siding. As I do not like the look of an LB I used an outdoor waterproof switch box. this just looks cleaner. Silicone around edges and secured with appropriate screws. I used UF (underground feeder) wire for entire run , buried 24 inches so no conduit required and from the outdoor box I ran to a 4x4 buried 2 feet deep and stabilized with concrete which secures my 1 gang (duplex GFI). This is an "in use box"and has a plastic cover to protect from rain. To this point I believe I am fully code compliant. here is my problem:

The plug for the LED lights has an integral transformer and as such I cannot plug in the pump for waterfall and lights at the same time as the duplex does not have enough room for the transformer.

I suppose i could change out the 1 gang box for a 2 gang(2 duplexes) but having spent $30 i hate to spend yet another $40 to correct issue. I had considered fashioning some sort of short jumper, in other words a male plug to go in duplex which would have say 12 inches of wire terminating at another male plug into which I plug in the transformer. I would somehow enclose in a box and seal with silicone. i don't think this code compliant?

Hope I explained this in an understandable fashion. Again big issue is both plugs will not fit duplex at same time.

Bite the bullet and replace 1 gang with 2 gang or any other suggestions?

BTW:he waterfall is beautiful.

Thanks

Old 10-20-20, 11:47 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Presuming the plug-in transformer is outdoor rated (which I assume it would be), you could get a short 12" extension cord and connect the transformer outside the bubble box.

Old 10-20-20, 02:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zorfdt:

That is what i was going to fashion. Yes transformer is wet rated but are you saying no need for box and likely no issues in rain aside from GFI tripping?

Is that code compliant? just curious?

Thanks for the reply

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: