Backpack Vacuum Switch Assembly Replacement

Old 10-28-20, 11:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backpack Vacuum Switch Assembly Replacement

I am attempting to replace the switch assembly on a Perfect PB-1006 6 Quart backpack vacuum. I am not an electrical guy by nature so bear with me. How do the 2 semi-clear wire connectors come off so I can attach the new wire ends. See images which may help. Thanks for any help.

Inside motor area of backpack vacuum.

Green is the ground (got that) this is the new assembly switch.

Last edited by BradO; 10-28-20 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-20, 02:22 PM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
I don't see any switch in your first photo. The switch in the second photo has a friction connector on the white wire, a ring end on the green wire and unknown connector on the third wire with the black sleeve. These wires are attached to the switch and make connections at other locations. Provide photo showing these 3 locations from the old switch connection.

Old 10-28-20, 02:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
The milky white connector you showed is crimped on. To remove it you will have to cut it off. To preserve as much wire length as possible look closely and you can see the metal sleeve inside. Cut right at the bottom of that. Or, if you have plenty of wire to work with then just cut the wires off at the base of the plastic.

Old 10-28-20, 09:08 PM
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
How many wires on the old & new switch? The green is ground (as you obviously already know) the white wire has a push-on (AKA quick connect or Stak-on as they are branded) the black wire has no connector just a pre-stripped end (that is a piece of insulation that will just pull right off) Those translucent white connections are crimps that have to be cut off if there is not enough wire cut the plastic piece off and cut right at the metal barrel if there is enough wire just cut it off. Just connect the new switch exactly as the old one was connected.

Old 11-12-20, 10:38 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I cut the wires and and stripped them. Capped the ends with the standard twit caps and backpack is up and running.

Old 11-12-20, 11:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Twist on wire nuts are designed for at least one solid wire and where there is no motion (not for vehicles or hand tools). They not great when connecting two stranded wires or in devices that move or vibrate. Better would be to use a crimp connector.

ThisOldMan voted this post useful.