How much damage did I do

Old 10-31-20, 04:33 PM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
How much damage did I do

I have my known good lawn mower battery and my known old and won't take a charge (03/2012) battery sitting on my bench. I'm using one of those Centrec trickle chargers with the quick disconnect plug like these. I have two of these plugs. Sitting right next to each other with the trickle charger next to them. Bet you can't guess what I did by mistake. And left them sitting for about two days.

Trying to charge the good battery now. Don't know if it will take a charge anymore. Any thoughts.

Popular Reply

10-31-20, 07:36 PM
WML13
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Norm, I cannot give you a difinitive answer to your specific question, but I do know from servicing electric golf carts for many years, that you If you replace one battery in a set of batteries, the replacement battery will be brought down to the level of the others in the set as far as its useful life is concerned. The rule always was to replace batteries in sets. Not one at a time. Good Luck!

Old 10-31-20, 04:45 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
Aren't the Centric chargers are supposed to switch to trickle charge automatically?

Old 10-31-20, 05:05 PM
Hal, I connected the good battery to the bad battery by mistake and left it for a couple days. I even switched on the trickle charger and it blinked red indicating a charge, but It wasn't connected to anything. DUH! Will the good battery even take a charge at this point? So far doesn't seem so.

Old 10-31-20, 05:34 PM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Can you describe/draw the circuit (+ and =) when the 2 batteries and charger were connected for 2 days?

Old 10-31-20, 06:48 PM
Just look at the connector in the picture. You connect the clamps to the battery and then connect the plugs to the charger, but in my absent mindedness, I connected both batteries together. The connectors are the same. My solar panel also has the same connector. In other words I was trying to charge one battery from the other.
What bugs me now is that I need to move the ATV since I decided to bring it in for an overall service. If the battery one charge , I can't very well move it.

Old 10-31-20, 07:32 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
I see 3 likely outcomes-

First, if the old battery was stone dead, it SHOULD appear as an open circuit and nothing happens.
Second, if the old battery WAS chargable, and had high resistance, then you get a slow flow of current and both batteries end up around 1/2 charged.
Third, if the old battery was chargable, and had low internal resistance, you get a spike of current, you should have seen a spark. If there is a fuse in the connector it probably blew, otherwise you'd knew the high current because it would melted the charger leads.

Old 10-31-20, 07:36 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Norm, I cannot give you a difinitive answer to your specific question, but I do know from servicing electric golf carts for many years, that you If you replace one battery in a set of batteries, the replacement battery will be brought down to the level of the others in the set as far as its useful life is concerned. The rule always was to replace batteries in sets. Not one at a time. Good Luck!

Drangd, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-01-20, 10:14 AM
Hal S said
If there is a fuse in the connector it probably blew,
Hal, you are correct! except the new battery fuse blew. Removed good fuse from old battery cable connection (7.5 amp) and replaced in new battery cable connection. Battery is now taking a charge and seems to be OK. Your third deduction was spot on, but no spark or melt down.

Great job and thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: