Getting electric to my well

Old 11-03-20, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting electric to my well

I have had the local electric company run the cable underground and install the transformer box, now its up to me to install a meter can, fuse panel and run the wire over to the transformer.

Electric company will make the connections to transformer.

Ive contacted the local county to get the requirements and ask for assistance, they have basically told me they are not gonna offer this and I should purchase/study the NEC.

I'm not planning to be a career electrician and as far as I know codes can still vary greatly depending on location.

Can anyone offer any insight of where I mind find the information I need to get the correct materials I need and run whats needed to pass code? I believe they are only giving me a 60 amp service at this point, its only an ag well.

Thanks

Last edited by PJmax; 11-03-20 at 05:53 PM. Reason: removed hyperlinks
Old 11-03-20, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Not sure the reason for those links.

First off..... what size is the well pump....... voltage and current required ?

You'll need to erect some type of stanchion.
Possibly a pole that you can mount the meter and disconnect panel on.
We can help you with wire size when you give us the pump info.
Underground wiring ?
How from the panel to the well pump ?
Where will the pump controls be located ?

Old 11-03-20, 06:04 PM
Not sure what links you refer too. 1.5 H.P pump

Old 11-03-20, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like you may have posted from a phone. Sometimes certain words get changed to links.
No problem.

Ok..... you'll be running the pump on 240v. It only requires 11.5A.
Your 60A service is more than capable with lots of power to spare.
I see what looks like electrical PVC. Where does that go ?
Underground wiring ?
How from the panel to the well pump ?

Old 11-03-20, 06:10 PM
A pole is not a problem
Yes sir, underground
8-12 feet from where meter/breaker box to well switch
Well is already installed, I have been running well up to this point with my generator.
I know little to nothing about any of this, I am however extremely handy, I can fix/repair/build anything but electrical and electrical terminology escapes me

A this point I have a well, tank and switch, Seco ( Marion County Florida ) has installed an underground cable 500 ( approx ) feet into my property, they then placed a transformer box.

I have nothing else other than a good temp pole to use

Old 11-03-20, 06:13 PM
That box is mounted atop my well casing, that PVC encases the well wire that runs to pump

Im not positive its 60 amp service, I dont see where it is indicated on the permit ( but I may be overlooking it )

Its a permit for an AG well. No home built yet

Old 11-03-20, 06:17 PM
I was told to get some sort of stacked box, one would have the meter canister and the other would have the breaker panel. Im hoping to find this setup relatively inexpensive at Lowes but not certain what I shoud be looking for specifically.

Can you tell me please?

Old 11-03-20, 06:20 PM
Im sorry but not the best at computer lingo, if you are curious and would like to go to you tube and type in 073property you will see my video, maybe it would give you a better idea of my project. Unfortunately the video is outdated, alot has been done since making it. There is no picture of transformer box since that only went in the past week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqXfNVf2zyg&t=204s

Old 11-03-20, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Very nice video. Quite an undertaking there. I did see the well setup.

In the link is a 100A meter pan/breaker combo. This is called a ring type meter pan as it uses a separate ring that you can see. There are also ringless. Your power company specifies the type they want. This panel says suitable for overhead use. I'm assuming it will work with an underground connection. Looks like it comes with some circuit breakers. You'll need a 2P15A or a 2P20A (240v) breaker for the pump.
Meter combo

You didn't say how far between the service and the pump.
You will need two 8' ground rods for your service.
You will probably need a permit for the work. In our area..... the power company will not connect or make live anything that hasn't been inspected and passed. You'll need to check on the permit.

Old 11-04-20, 03:00 AM
Thanks, I cant assume anything though, the link you gave clearly states suitable for overhead only. ( as you mentioned ) I need to know specifically what the regulations state/say should be used. I have an overhead from a neighbors home build that he was done with, county will not approve it, has to be an underground type. I was able to at least get that much out of them. Thank you for the comments.

Power company has not specified anything, I have asked several times, they have no specifications to give, a ringless type was suggested though by their engineer, they seem to not care what I do, as long as I run the wire to the correct side of their transformer and even then I dont think they care, they will just tell me to do it over again if its not right, same with getting any info out of the county.

8-12 feet from the meter/fuse panel to the pump, less than 50 ft from panels to transformer

I have a permit

Thanks again

Last edited by 19300; 11-04-20 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-05-20, 05:52 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Hire a licensed contractor, problem solved. The contractor will know what the local AHJ wants and will coordinate with the power company too, that's what he gets paid for.

Many municipalities allow homeowners to do their own electrical work and take out permits if they can pass a test, but most of those municipalities do not allow homeowners to change services or install new services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: