Condo circuit breaker

Old 11-04-20, 11:10 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condo circuit breaker

Hello,
when my condo power is overloaded, the main circuit breaker for my unit which is located outside my unit and is controlled by HOA is tripped instead of the circuit breaker inside my unit. Anyone has any ideas why? Thanks.

Circuit breaker inside my unit

Old 11-04-20, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can see by your panel that you are totally on electric.
What's for heat..... baseboard electric ?

Based on your connected load you should be on a 100A service protected by a 100A breaker outside.
Do you know what size breaker is tripping ?

Old 11-05-20, 04:04 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Also, a "side question" if I may please. Why is there tape on the far left top breaker marked GD?
Was this tape placed there hoping to prevent this breaker from tripping?

Old 11-05-20, 04:35 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Are you overloading your electric service?

Can you reproduce the circumstances when the main breaker tripped? Like what appliances and devices and heaters were being used?

Now I will not rule out the main breaker downstairs being defective and tripping below 100 or whatever amps.

Old 11-05-20, 05:27 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
Assuming you have 100A main breaker, that should usually be enough to run entire condo even with all electric.
What were you running when the breaker trip?

Bad breaker can trip the breaker before overload condition occurs. Bad contact point can overheat the breaker and cause it to trip.
If you don't find any issue in your unit, replacing main breaker probably is next step. You could check if the breaker gets hot with moderate load, but I'm pretty sure your HOA won't let you touch it without licensed electrician.

Old 11-06-20, 05:03 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Find out the amp rating of the main breaker. Find out if any of your neighbors are losing power when you do. Could be there may be other condos or parts of other condos being powered by this breaker. Do you heat by fossil fuel since I don't see a 240 vac breaker for electric heat?

Old 11-06-20, 07:11 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Most likely the main breaker for the OPs apartment is after his meter and before a home run to his apartment panel, thus serving his unit only. In which case no neighbors would be affected.

Same thing as a single family house with the meter and disconnect box on a pole or on the outside with a cable going inside to the primary load center panel (wired as a subpanel).

Old 11-08-20, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
The tape might be there to stop someone from turning the garbage disposal on.

Old 11-08-20, 06:03 AM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
Loose connections on the main breaker can cause heating and then tripping. Going by the posted torque specs result in a surprisingly tight connection. But note that the wire connection will be on the live side of the breaker, so check this with caution. They do make fully insulated torque wrenches, but not popular due to cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: