ceiling fan istallation

Old 06-16-01, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I was about to install a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan but I want to make sure I understand: There is a 2-wire cable coming directly from the attic (without a metal box), which was connected to the ceiling light w/swith); the fan has three wires, white, black, & black/white. I know to connect white:white, black:black, but what about the black/white? Can I connect the black wire and the black/white wire to the ceiling black (together)?

Also, as I mentioned above, there is no metal box, there really should be, yes?

Please advise, verickson

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-01, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, you must replace that plastic box with a metal one -- specifically a metal one designed for a fan. Furthermore, this box must be securely attached to a structural member from above. Fortunately there are some great fan support kits that make this pretty easy.

About the wiring, your guess is correct. Both the black and the black/white from the fan will attach to the black from the ceiling. This means that the wall switch will turn on the fan and light together (black wire provides power to the fan and black/white provides power to the light). You will need to use the pull chains to then adjust the fan and light separately.

Old 06-16-01, 05:19 PM
Visiting Guest
John, thanks! I will take a trip to the hardware store tomorrow.