electrical boxes and sheetrock / recessed boxes?

Old 11-08-20, 08:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrical boxes and sheetrock / recessed boxes?

My daughter & fiance are buying a house under construction in Connecticut.

the builder has built several hundred homes in this an adjacent towns, so I think he'd know better than me how to do things.

They just recently sheet rocked and I noticed that all the electrical boxes are recessed from the 1/2" sheetrock. 'Even I know about the lines on the boxes to use as guides when nailing the boxes to studs (switch AND electrical boxes)

a) from what I could find on the web, recessed boxes aren't allowed per code? Nationwide?
b) and even if they are,allowed, the outlets / switches woudl need shims / woudl wobble? plus the dust of the sheetrock getting into the boxes / switches?
c) from what I can tell, these are nailed on, not adjustable boxes.
d) there's extensions that can go on a box to bring it out flush with the sheetrock? Would a contractor use them in the entire house?!
e) because he builds so much in town, they are more lenient / look the other way when inspecting?!

my daughter mentioned that blue are outlets and white are switches. THat's just how that guy does things, right? I;m used to blue being carlon / home depot boxes. Don't think I've seen white at lowes or HD?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-20, 02:33 AM
A
Received 104 Votes on 86 Posts
The color of the boxes really don't mean anything in the way of what should be used as a receptacle or switch box.

The depth is an issue. The person installing the boxes did not set them at proper depth.

Extension rings can be used to bring the box flush with the wall surface. Take a look here. They come in many depths. There are also different types. Although this should not have happened it is not a drastic mistake but just an inconvenience.

There really can't be more than a 1/4" difference by code (someone more up to date on codes please correct me if things have changed).

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 11-09-20, 10:02 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 285 Posts
As stated, it's unfortunately not an uncommon issue. If you don't say anything, I'd give the builder/electrician a 95% chance of just installing the switches/receptacles as-is. The way they mount, they won't wobble and you wouldn't notice a thing.

But as mentioned, it would be code-compliant to add an extension ring to each box. For a new build, I'd definitely bring it up to the builder and have them install them.

Old 11-09-20, 10:18 AM
A
Received 104 Votes on 86 Posts
Don't blame the electrician so quickly though.
It has happened to me at a job site already. Several rooms I set them too far back only because the GC did not tell me of the change of plans. I always asked prior. Oups. Lucky though I happened to mention it and the GC then told me of the change of plans. He paid me to move them since he neglected to tell me of the change. There were a lot of other changes going on and he got distracted. Lucky is was before the sheet rock went up.

From what I see in the pictures you provided it seems a Roto-Zip was used to cut the boxes out in the sheet rock. That makes inserting the spacers/extenders much easier.

For 3 and 4 gang boxes in the past I have had to use my oscillator to cut the extenders to fit though. Not a big deal.

Old 11-09-20, 10:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on why they would have not planned for the sheetrock other than a mistake?

Most all will just be the sheetrock wall.

Me being a noob, I could see them thinking -for the ones that might be tiled areas they figured we're gonna need an externder anyway? But then to do it throughout the house?

THe wiring looks neat (compared to anything I could do). Again, this guy has built hundreds of houses... so if he got a noob electrician for this house, the wiring itself looks miuch better than I could do.

Old 11-09-20, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Assuming that wall has only one layer of sheetrock and not two, my guess would be that the builder has his own drywall crew and for some reason likes them flush with framing simply because they are easier/faster to hang and router that way. And maybe they plan on using extension rings.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-09-20, 11:23 AM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
my guess would be that the builder has his own drywall crew and for some reason likes them flush with framing simply because they are easier/faster to hang and router that way.
I think this is exactly right. I wouldn't count on box extenders being used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: