24V DC sharing conduit?

Old 11-09-20, 02:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
24V DC sharing conduit?

Hi again. My question involves whether I can run a 24VDC conductor in the same conduit as other load conductors.

I am running six 8 AWGs and two 6 AWG grounds (THHN) in 1" Flexible Metal Conduit. I would like to run 14/2 Landscape wire in this conduit.

This is a DC circuit from the AC/DC inverter to a solar Rapid Shutoff switch (RSD), which then goes to the modules.

Modules --> Rapid Shutoff Device --> Inverter

I understand that if the run from the modules to the RSD is not charged, I can use the 1" EMT as support for the 14/2, with straps.

However, if I want to run the 14/2 from the RSD, it would be so convenient to put it in 1" MC with those other other conductors, rather than add a dedicated line of conduit for it.
725.52(A) Exception No.2: Revise exception by incorporating the existing Fine Print Note as a new second sentence so as to read: “Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits if the Class 2 and Class 3 markings required in 725.42 are eliminated and the entire circuit is installed using the wiring methods and materials in accordance with Part II, Class 1 circuits. Class 2 and Class 3 circuits reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits shall not be classified as Class 2 or Class 3 circuits, regardless of the continued connection to a Class 2 or Class 3 power source.”

So does this mean that in order to run 14/2 DC between the RSD and the inverter, I also have to it in conduit from the modules to the RSD? Anything further I might be missing?

Thanks again! Your help is invaluable.

Old 11-09-20, 06:12 PM
P
Received 124 Votes on 98 Posts
Nope. Low voltage conductors are not to be in the same raceway as line voltage conductors.
I need to add, unless the conductors have the same voltage rating.

debeze voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: