Installing EZ generator switch

Old 11-11-20, 02:13 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing EZ generator switch

Hi all,

I want to put a generator hook up on my boiler. I bought a "EZ generator switch". Don't know if anyone here has knowledge of those. (if not, I guess most of the post below will not make much sense)

I will email the company this same picture, but in case any of you have experience with this product I thought I could run it by you as well, since so many of you have been helpful before.

I looked behind my existing on/off switch. The cable is just two prong. The EZ switch will be attached by way of an offset nipple, side by side with this switch. Here is my planned installation.

Not sure where I should connect the EZ switch bare ground. (maybe just to the box itself).
Also, I am not sure if my generator is "bonded neutral" or "floating neutral". It is a Predator 4375.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-11-20 at 06:10 PM. Reason: enhanced picture
Old 11-11-20, 02:49 PM
A
Received 215 Votes on 198 Posts
The bare ground wire needs to be attached to the other bare ground wires in the box. Hopefully the wire nut that holds the latter together will hold the new bare ground wire in the same bundle.

DavidDIY voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-20, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
Technically the ground wire needs to be attached to the box because the conduit is the source ground and the BX is the load ground. I'm not sure what that current bare wire is doing there.

The Predator 4375 has two GFI receptacles. If that's what you are using to power your transfer box..... do absolutely nothing. Your transfer box is taking care of the neutral.

DavidDIY voted this post useful.
Old 11-12-20, 03:50 AM
D
Thanks for the responses, and for editing my picture!

If the conduit is the ground, then I suppose it would suffice to connect the EZ box ground to the EZ box itself, since that box will be connected to the existing switch box by another piece of conduit.

I could of course connect the EZ ground wire to both the EZ box and the existing switch box (it is long enough), if that is the best way to go.

Feeling pretty good about going ahead with the installation now. Thanks for weighing in on the generator too!

Old 11-22-20, 06:55 AM
D
Just to follow up,

I ended up just replacing the existing box with the EZ box. The switch has a "generator", "normal" and "off" position, so there was no need to keep the old on/off switch.

Made everything a bit neater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: