outlet came back to life only after main turned off

Old 11-15-20, 08:09 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
outlet came back to life only after main turned off

This is a perplexing issue. My Breakers were never marked so it was harder to figure this out. But one day the floor lamp in my dining room stopped working. I thought it was the lightbulb but it was not. I plugged it in the living room and it worked fine. Then I went to print something and I noticed that the printer would not work and so I took it out of the dining room and put it in the living room and it worked fine. However 2 outlets on the other side of the dining room work just fine. I have pushmatic but did not notice any of them off so I actually went through each one of them and turn them on and off and nothing worked. The light would not come back on no matter what. i did this 2x. I have two electrical boxes and at the top of each one it says main so I decided to turn both of them off and back on and then the light and printer both worked on their respective outlets. So any idea what the heck happened. I am just assuming that all of the outlets in the dining room or on the same breaker but I am not 100% sure I did not go back and test it.

Old 11-16-20, 04:58 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
My guess is the main in the electrical panel powering the suspect outlets had tripped unless you have proof other loads on the panel were operating when you had the problems which you haven't stated. While common sense says all outlets in the same room should share the same breaker, mapping each breaker to it's loads is the only way to confirm the home wiring. Do it.

Old 11-16-20, 06:08 AM
L
do you mean half the house was without power for a week and i didnt know it?

the mains were the last thing i tried, before this i turned off and on every breaker in both panels 2x and things were turning off and on. id think this means both mains werent tripped?

Old 11-16-20, 06:38 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, there should be 1 main, and there other maybe a sub panel, post a pic of what you have.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 11-16-20, 07:02 AM
L
2 mains. power comes in from outside into a long horizontal box then from that box into 2 panels with 2 mains. yup thats how they did it. people are always perplexed when they see it.

Old 11-16-20, 09:02 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
2 mains. power comes in from outside into a long horizontal box then from that box into 2 panels with 2 mains. yup thats how they did it. people are always perplexed when they see it.
Is this a 400amp service? Do you live in a rural area?

Old 11-16-20, 11:29 AM
L
220 ..guy wanted 1500 for a new box and 500 for transfer switch when i was looking at generator possiblities but i couldnt swing it then. he said he would never do a swtich with pushmatics

Old 11-16-20, 01:58 PM
L
Old 11-17-20, 09:25 AM
So.....still would like to know a couple things. Is this a 400amp service? Do you live in a rural area?

Old 11-17-20, 09:37 AM
L
no and no. does being rural affect 2 outlets in a room working while 2 dont? i learn something new every day.

Old 11-17-20, 05:28 PM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Most posters here are DIYers like yourself and not specialized tradesman. Unless you know the rationale of a posters question, I would just answer without expressing judgement on the question since they only have your explanation of the problem to go by. Remember you are the one looking for help.

Old 11-18-20, 08:19 AM
does being rural affect 2 outlets in a room working while 2 dont?
It could in some cases. I have seen many many major code violations in rural areas that have no permits or inspections that cause some pretty weird things. From your description and the pictures it appears you have two paralleled main service panels fed through the trough and that is why I asked if this was a 400 amp service. How many amps is the service?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: