Prob wired wrong (series)

Old 11-16-20, 01:13 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Prob wired wrong (series)

The pic attch is a bsmt circuit that I did a while back. It had startup led flickering issues, I'm guessing cause I wired it in series? I'm adding a fourth light, and if you say it's wired wrong (series) for that many lights, I'll need to go back and figure out how to do it in parallel. If you know of a diagram to reference, that would help. The power source must come thru light 1, and I'm not sure if I can move the switch anywhere but to the light 2 box.

Old 11-16-20, 01:29 PM
A
Received 79 Votes on 71 Posts
When you wire 3 lights in series you reduce the voltage to each to 33% so surprise the lights worked at all. You need to wire the lights in parallel and replace the cable between light 1 and 2 with a 3 wire version.

Old 11-16-20, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Prob wired wrong ??
Definitely wired wrong.

I don't think the circuit will even work as you show it.
You aren't even bringing neutral to light 2 and 3..... so they shouldn't be lighting at all.

If you are running power and a switch leg..... you need to use three wire cable.
light

Last edited by PJmax; 11-16-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-16-20, 03:08 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
well, it worked relatively fine for the last year. Could be a diagramming error, but after I sat down and drew up some scenarios, I think I know now how I can wire it in parallel. If it works, I'll post it. thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: