Question about sauna wire type

Old 11-19-20, 08:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about sauna wire type

Hello, I am building a diy sauna in by basement. I have constructed a frame using 2x4s and am getting ready to run the wires for my electric heater and light. My question is specifically in regards to the cable type. Do I need to use something that is heat rated like type XHHW-2, SOOW or THHW? Or can regular NM-B cable be used? The wiring will be located behind R15 thermafiber mineral wool insulation, so it will not be directly exposed to high heat, but I want to be sure just in case. I will hire an electrician to install a new breaker in the electrical panel and to connect the heater, but I have no problem with with doing the pre-wiring.

Old 11-19-20, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,962 Votes on 2,673 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The power wiring doesn't usually enter the heater directly.
Typically there is a splice box or a control box.

If the wiring does go directly into the unit..... you would need to follow manufacturers recommendations.
The mfg would probably specify copper wiring only.

As far as the light wiring... NM type cable is rated to a maximum of 131° .

Old 11-20-20, 04:44 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appreciate your response. In the case of my heater the power goes directly to it as the controller is built into the unit. The unit remote control pad is connected via a telephone type cable. So that is why I am wondering what cable I could use. I know XHHW-2 is rated to 90 degrees Celsius.
In the manual they specify AWG8 as the wiring size, but not the type. Here’s a link to the manual just in case:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...re.html#manual

I’ve been thinking to run a conduit externally and into the sauna wall to minimize heat exposure.

Old 11-21-20, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,962 Votes on 2,673 Posts
You can use THHN or THHN/THWN wiring. That would be single conductor wiring.

The easiest thing to do is to get maybe 10' of #8 black THHN and 5' of #8 green THHN and a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" Greenfield (BX) jacket and make up your own tail. Then you could run 8-2 NM-b w/ground. You would connect the tail and the NM-b in a splice box.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-21-20 at 04:04 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: