Main shut-off in subpanel

Old 11-20-20, 03:16 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main shut-off in subpanel

My subpanel did not come with a main breaker or even a main breaker spot. Is there any way to add a main breaker?

Old 11-20-20, 04:30 PM
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Depends of the internal layout of the buss bars a panel make & model would be helpful with this.
Sound like you bought a "MLO" (Main Lug Only) panels those are OK as sub panel use only as the protection device is upstream in the main breaker (or fuse) panel.
They are not suitable as service equipment (main panel) and a meter with a main breaker makes the inside panel technically a sub panel.

Old 11-21-20, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
A main breaker may not be required. Is this panel in the same building as the service?

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-24-20, 11:37 AM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
My subpanel did not come with a main breaker or even a main breaker spot. Is there any way to add a main breaker?
Obviously you bought a main lug panel and not a main breaker panel. Most manufacturers sell a main breaker kit that will replace the main lugs so check with the manufacturer to see if a main breaker kit is available. Another option may be to install a backfed breaker as a main breaker along with the required main breaker retaining kit.

Why didn't you just buy a main breaker panel?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: