Fluorescent bulb → Ballast → Electrical Plug?

Old 11-21-20, 03:17 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Fluorescent bulb → Ballast → Electrical Plug?

Hi!

I'm looking to connect a Circline T9 22W Fluorescent Tube, to 4-pin Sunlight 22W Ballast, then connect the Black (hot) wire to the brass screw and the White (neutral) wire to the silver screw of an electrical plug (15 Amp 125-Volt Double Pole 3-Wire Grounding Plug), then go directly into an outlet.

My question is about the Ground. Is this okay as diagrammed? or must I ground the Ballast case somehow?

I understand that grounding is usually automatic if the light fixture is grounded properly (a metal ballast mounted to a metal light fixture would automatically ground the ballast)

However, if I'm not using a metal light fixture, and not hardwiring this... I am wondering if this freestanding set-up to a wall outlet is safe, or if I need to somehow ground the ballast case?

Thanks so much for your help!

Circline T9 22W Fluorescent Tube, to 4-pin Sunlight 22W Ballast, to an electrical plug

Sunlight 22W Ballast

15 Amp 125-Volt Double Pole 3-Wire Grounding Plug

Old 11-21-20, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
What are you doing with the tube..... hanging it on the wall ?
Most fluorescent tubes need to be located near a grounded metal case/fixture to light correctly.

The supply wiring to the ballast is supposed to be contained within a junction box or approved light fixture.

Old 11-21-20, 08:02 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
It will work, but there is possibility of electrocution when that ballast fails as it can short to metal casing. The is the main reason for grounding.

Also, fluorescent light is supposed be on grounded metal for it to work properly, but I did find it works just fine without ground in most cases.

Why even bother with fluorescent light anyway? LED will be much better choice these days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: