4 Gang Box help,

Old 11-24-20, 04:31 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 Gang Box help,

Good evening all,
I have been having a very tough time with a 4-gang box in my garage. I live in Virginia (rules said I should put that in there to help with codes), the house was built in 1987, but the electrical box looks newer. Now on to my problem.

I have attached a picture of what I have so far.

There is one line (hot) coming in and I need it to go to four different items, one outlet and three switches. The start of the chain will be at the outlet (GFCI 20amp) and then on to the first switch then the next and then the last. Each switch controls a different light, outside light (deck), outside light (above front of garage), and last is motion light inside the garage.

None of the light switches need to be connected, turn on or off the outlet, which will be hot all the time (gotta plug in my kegerator!) I'm sure there will be issues with what I already have done in the picture that I have attached. I'm completely fine starting over and ensuring this is done right! I have tripped the breaker about 1000 times and I'm no longer having fun with the process of elimination with electricity and fire hazards!

I'm a visual kind of guy, so if possible, if you could wire diagram that would be most helpful. But at this point I will take whatever I can get.

Thank you for any and all help.

Old 11-24-20, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First off..... those are three way switches. You need standard single pole switches.

All whites get connected together as it looks like you've done.
After you replace the switches.... connect the three black wires from the three lights each on one switch screw.

Take the black/hot wire out of the GFI. That black wire needs to go to the GFI and to the second screw on the switches. As an electrician..... I would take four pieces of black wire and splice them onto the hot wire. Now each tail goes to a switch and the GFI. You can use those blocks if those are easier for you.

With all the white wires connected together..... there would be no way to have a short unless the hot touched the ground.

Ranger0704 voted this post useful.
Old 11-24-20, 05:19 PM
R
Pete,

Thank you for the quick response and the welcome to the forum. Are the grounds correct?

Which screw (top or bottom) does the black wire from each light go on?

The black/hot wire will go into which screw on the GFI? There are two on the left and two on the right.

I have attached another picture of what I think you are saying.

Old 11-24-20, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
The diagram looks good. You just missed the white wire to the GFI.
All grounds wires as well as each device is interconnected. Looks ok.
You connect the power wiring to the LINE screw terminals on the GFI receptacle.
Usually the LOAD terminals have a sticker over them as they're not always used.

There is no polarity on the switches.

Ranger0704 voted this post useful.
Old 11-24-20, 06:54 PM
R
Pete,

Thank you very much for your help. Ill hit Home Depot tomorrow morning, get it all put together, snap a photo, and crack a beer for finally finishing this!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: