Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Tree falling into power line at the road - who is responsible?

Old 11-25-20, 08:35 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hello - I have a ton of pine trees on my property. Over the past few years I have had nearly all of them removed to ensure they don't fall on the service drop line. I am down to my final batch of trees. When I got a quote to have them removed, the tree company told me they could not take the job until the power company trimmed the trees away from the main power line because it would be too dangerous otherwise.

Right away, I submitted a "tree trimming" request to my power company. They came out and left a note that said while the trees do need trimmed, it is not urgent and they would prioritize my house in 2021 during regularly scheduled maintenance. Over the past few weeks we have had bad storms and one of the trees in question began falling into the line. Some branches are in the power line at the road and the supply line is wrapped around one of the branches. I contacted the power company again but they refuse to do anything. I told them that a private company wont touch it due to proximity to the main line and asked "what should i do then just let it fall?" They responded "I dont make the rules, we aren't cutting this and left."

You can see from the pictures, this tree is right next to the main pole with branches into the line. If the power company had trimmed it when I asked over the summer I could have had it removed by a private company. But now since it has fallen I don't think the private company will do it since it's so close to the line. Should the power company be responsible for this? Should I file a complaint with the state's utility commission?

Popular Reply

11-25-20, 09:33 AM
joed
Received 441 Votes on 367 Posts
It looks to me like the POWER lines have been cleared. The lines in question are phone and cable TV.
I would try a different tree service.

Old 11-25-20, 09:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Normally trees on the service lines along the street are the power companies responsibility while the line leading to your house is yours. The lower lines are not the power companies which is probably why they aren't too concerned. The top wires carry power while the lower ones are for telephone and cable tv. Power lines are generally not insulated and are high voltage. If your trees were touching them you'd probably see some nice arcing & smoking. I've even seen tree branches explode. Needless to say if your tree branches are glowing, smoking and making a sizzling or popping sound stay far away and call the power company.

cartman, SamAlex voted this post useful.
Old 11-25-20, 09:33 AM
J
Received 441 Votes on 367 Posts
It looks to me like the POWER lines have been cleared. The lines in question are phone and cable TV.

cartman, CasualJoe, SamAlex voted this post useful.
Old 11-25-20, 10:52 AM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
I worked for a tree company. The tree IS trimmed back from the power lines, they're laying against local phone, cable TV and internet service.

The local transmission wires (thousands of volts) RED are at the TOP, then you have local service wires (240v) YELLOW going to the house.

Then there's a 4' gap BLUE and then you have phone / TV / internet wires.GREEN

SamAlex voted this post useful.

Last edited by Hal_S; 11-25-20 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-25-20, 10:58 AM
C
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Yeah, definitely try another tree service. There are tree guys who will work around power lines, and even more of them will work around phone/cable/fiber lines.

SamAlex voted this post useful.
Old 11-25-20, 12:10 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I called around and found someone to remove that tree as well as 2 others that look like they could fall on the neighbors internet/phone line. They will be out on Friday so hopefully they can cut them down before they fall.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 11-25-20, 03:22 PM
Received 163 Votes on 146 Posts
Normally trees on the service lines along the street are the power companies responsibility while the line leading to your house is yours
If it's the power company service drop the power company is still responsible. If it's an underground service lateral it could be either the power company or customer's responsibility. Underground service laterals fall under several sets of rules.

cwbuff voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: