Running NM Cable Along Rafters

Old 11-26-20, 07:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running NM Cable Along Rafters

Hello, hoping someone can help me with a rough-in wiring question. I live in NC (USA) for reference.

I am finishing off a space above my garage and have a space above the ceiling that will not be used. There will be a small access hatch from the habitable space.

My question is that I am installing IC can lights and running the wiring for them. I am trying to follow code requirements, but I'm not clear if how I am running the Romex is correct.

1) When running perpendicular to the rafters, can I staple the wiring like the picture?

2) If not, is a running board or are guard boards needed to staple the wiring as it crosses from can to can and eventually to the point where it runs down the wall to the switch? I'd prefer not to have to drill the rafters if possible and permissible.

3) Does guarding the wiring at 6' around the access hatch apply for an unfinished area such as this and guard boards or running board needs to be added?

4) When running from the rafter area to the ceiling cross beams, is it acceptable to staple to the top of the rafter then bridge to the can light box?

Any advice or comments would be welcome.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-20, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,967 Votes on 2,677 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We don't see a picture...... How-to-insert-pictures.

If the sheetrock isn't up on the ceiling it would be better to drill the joists.
If the sheetrock is up..... I take the cable out towards the eaves where it can't be stepped on.
I don't like using running boards as it can be a trip hazard (I know personally)

Old 11-26-20, 06:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@PJmax

Sorry, thought I had attached the photos. I think they are correctly uploaded now below.

Old 11-28-20, 08:53 AM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
1) When running perpendicular to the rafters, can I staple the wiring like the picture?
Yes .....................................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: