Wiring/conduits for screened porch with brick

Old 11-29-20, 07:31 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring/conduits for screened porch with brick

I need help adding 2 outlets, a light fixture and a fan for a screened porch in Virginia with high humidity in the summer. The house has brick painted white. I want to use surface mounted boxes and conduits. I plan to bring wires from the house through a couple of holes in the brick.
  • Do I need to use conduits or can I just use exposed WG UF wire for damp environment?
  • If I need conduits, what type would you recommend? I would prefer white so that I don't have to paint them.
  • What type of boxes would be best, metal like the picture below or plastic?
  • Could I use a white plastic raceway system with WG wire or is watertight conduit needed?
Thanks

Old 11-29-20, 08:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Since this will be an exposed location you cannot run any wire outside and exposed even if it is approved for underground burial. After all, you are not burying it. It should be run in conduit.

If you are in a coastal/marine environment I would use PVC boxes and conduit. Painted aluminum boxes like you pictured and metallic conduit didn't hold up well for me at the beach.

Old 11-29-20, 11:23 AM
S
Thanks for your reply. I am in northern Virginia, not in the coast. What type of plastic conduit would you use? Would 1/2" Liquid Tight be a good option or just 1/2" pvc pipe? The plastic ends for Liquid tight are larger diameter than the conduit and I am not sure they would look good surface mounted (see picture).

Old 11-29-20, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I'm in northern NJ so your humidity levels are similar to mine.

The neatest way to wire that would be to use EMT (electro mechanical tubing). EMT is thin metal conduit that can be bent. It doesn't rust unless it's outside in the rain.

The easiest way to wire that is to use PVC pipe.
The seal tite or flex in your picture is very hard to keep straight on the wall.

Old 11-29-20, 01:54 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
I agree with Pete. If it were me, I would use EMT (light steel) conduit and the metal boxes you showed. The EMT stays nice and straight and looks good - though you might need to prime and paint it.

PVC conduit is easier to run, and for short runs, it's nice and easy. But for longer runs, it can get wavy and doesn't look quite as nice.

I would use individual conductors (THHN/THWN) in the conduit. Black/White. Ground is needed if you use PVC, not needed for EMT as the conduit acts as the ground.

Old 11-29-20, 04:41 PM
S
I may go with PVC. My runs are not long. I have never done anything with EMT.
It would look better with a raceway system like Wiremold. Would
UF wire for damp or wet environment in Wiremold comply with code? I am guessing that the boxes would need to be waterproof to protect the connections from moisture. Is this a crazy idea?

Old 11-29-20, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
The problem with Wiremold is that it's steel and will rust. You could run UF thru it.
The boxes that are used with Wiremold are also steel boxes.

It comes painted..... if you keep it painted it should last a long time but no guarantee.

Old 11-29-20, 05:44 PM
S
I found that Wiremold and others have PVC options for raceway and boxes (see below). However, these boxes don't seem waterproof. I don't know if it is OK to have connections in a non-waterproof box where the protective layer of the UF wire is removed. Do you know know how to find out if this would comply with code?
PVC raceway:
https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Wirem...BFMXZVGR3&th=1
PVC box:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-42777-1WA-Surface-Backbox-Single/dp/B0028CIC8U/ref=pd_sbs_328_1/136-5388001-7778652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0028CIC8U&pd_rd_r=3f94babf-a67f-4b00-aebf-cee6af387a1d&pd_rd_w=UCTYe&pd_rd_wg=S0HKT&pf_rd_p=ed1e2146-ecfe-435e-b3b5-d79fa072fd58&pf_rd_r=EQDNAM9EKKWFS8ANXXG4&psc=1&refRID=EQDNAM9EKKWFS8ANXXG4

Old 11-29-20, 07:51 PM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
Few electrical boxes are waterproof/submersible. Most outdoor rated boxes are rain rated. A covered porch might need only damp rated raceways, not necessarily wet rated. There may be some geometric guidance on roof height vs box placement that someone here may know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: