Extending Oven 50A Circuit

Old 11-29-20, 11:07 AM
A
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Extending Oven 50A Circuit

I just got a new oven, and the old plug is about 14" off of the floor, which means I cannot push the oven back all the way to the wall. So, I want to extend that wire left and to the floor.

Is it legal to simply remove the plug, turn the old box into a J box, wire nut an addition length of 6AWG wire to a new plug/box on the floor (assuming I can fish the wire over and to the left)? This is a 4 wire plug.

Old 11-29-20, 12:47 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
No issue with that. A double-gang or 4x4 box is probably needed for the space.
Alternatively, you can disconnect the receptacle and pull the cable down to where you need it - if the cable is coming up through the floor, you may have enough slack to do that.

Old 11-29-20, 01:53 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
If you have a basement the wire likely comes from the bottom. All you might need is to do lower the box and patch the hole.

Old 11-29-20, 04:21 PM
A
Guys, I got the wire spliced on but I'll be d---ed if I can get the outlet and wire in a 4 gang box. It's just heavy unyielding wire and I can't really get it to bend and fit in the box. I just can't. I've used vice grips to force it back in, broken wire, ripped the rubber sheathing...I mean...I can't get it to go.

Do thye sell a super fine ultra flexible 6awg wire? I have all the knockouts knocked out and no matter what configuration I use, I can't get it to stuff in the box.

Old 11-29-20, 04:37 PM
C
Received 30 Upvotes on 28 Posts
4 gang box? You mean 2 gang box?

How deep is the box? They sell them in various depths. Also sell ones slightly larger in length and width than the typical 4" box.

Old 11-30-20, 02:40 AM
A
Received 162 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Also, if you are using a metal box they do make extensions like this one. This is a case price but just wanted to show you the item.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 11-30-20, 04:53 AM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I thought you were going to use floor mount receptacle. No?
It is harder to push wires in if your wires are too short. You need some length of wire so you can bend or roll inside junction box.

Just go for floor/surface mount receptacle. It is a bit easier to install.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-P00/311373554

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-30-20, 04:55 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Well, it sounds like you ruined that cable, post some pics of what you have there.
Geo 🇺🇸

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-30-20, 05:45 AM
A
Sweet mother of pearl I got it.

yes I meant two gang box. The wire was not damaged. Plus I have 500 feet of this stuff from a previous project. I saw the surface mount boxes but I didn’t have one on hand. That would have been a bit better but would have left some romex exposed in my installation. After more consideration the box could only be moved to a small acceptable area due to framing constraints. Ended up needing to lower the existing box by about 8”. Yes. EIGHT INCHES to accommodate a new stove. Anyway, it’s in the box, secured well. The old box was used as a j box and I used my package of gigantic wire nuts suited for the wire and number I needed to secure. That box has a cover and all is well.

if I used a surface mount box and had to have an inch or two of Romex exposed then that would not be acceptable, right? I didn’t think it was ok so I didn’t go that route.

also, this wire is probably ten years old and I can say without a doubt that wire I have purchased in other gauges recently has a lot more “strands” than the same gauge purchased years ago. This wire was just plain stiff. New wire seems to be far more malleable.

Old 11-30-20, 10:21 AM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I used a surface mount box and had to have an inch or two of Romex exposed then that would not be acceptable,
That is fine as long as it is not subject to damage, which it won't be.
Also, surface mount receptacles have also have hole in the back for feeding wire from back without exposing romex. However, it is a bit harder to install since you have to make 90 turn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: