Lights Blinking Oddly

Old 11-30-20, 07:18 PM
G
Gen
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Lights Blinking Oddly

New house, history unknown. An outdoor flood light blinks when it's turned on. It is a 2 bulb flood light and blinks like this...left bulb comes on for about a second, then off. Immediately after, the right bulb comes on, about a second, then off...then back to the left one, and repeat back and forth between bulbs.

The light switch is inside a bedroom. It is a modern home, and the flood light is below a second floor balcony. Could this have been some kind of emergency alert light? Or....?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-20, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
What type bulbs are in the fixture? Compact fluorescent can sometimes have a hard time starting in cold weather and sometimes their electronics don't play nice with the electronics in motion lights. If they are incandescent bulbs then I'd start looking for a loose connection, probably in the fixture.

Old 12-01-20, 05:32 AM
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
This. Some non-incandescent bulbs play games with the electronics in some fixtures.

If not, does it flash the same exact pattern every time? Maybe some weird feature or issue with the fixture.

Old 12-01-20, 05:34 AM
A
Received 214 Votes on 197 Posts
Do you have some incandescent lamps (bulbs) you could try in that fixture?

If the flashing is an even rhythm like a railroad crossing signal I would think it is an alert or alarm code of some kind.

Old 12-01-20, 06:48 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
LED's will do this if used with certain dimmers.
I have similar situation but it only happens once. At Christmas I install a blue and green LED floods. Upon 1st install the green will flash about once per second. Once I cycle through an off/on they bulbs work fine.

Old 12-01-20, 08:42 AM
G
Gen
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Except for the bulbs, it looks like this in pic, attached to a circular surface mount box. And it's on a switch. No motion sensor and no dimmer.

The bulbs, I think, are either CFL or LED. It's so high up and difficult to get at the thing.The flashing is NOT erratic or rapid. Rather it is a PERFECT rhythmical pattern that also alternates from one bulb to the other at about one second on and off for each....like it's programmed in.

So if I understand so far, check the bulbs anyway? Could there be some alarm or alert device causing the flashing? Where might I find this? (The light does face the street.)

Old 12-01-20, 09:06 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Show us a picture of the switch. Outside and inside (how wires are connected) if possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: