Towel Warmer Installation

Old 12-04-20, 04:30 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Towel Warmer Installation

Good evening all,

I'm interested in installing a hard-wired towel warmer in my master bath. I would be installing on the wall between my shower stall and whirlpool tub (basically a dry or damp area). It actually fits nicely there. Problem is, since there is not much spare room, the timer/control for the towel warmer will be installed so that it is aligned with the whirlpool tub wall (27" oc above flood rim but in alignment with it). I will be installing it on a GFCI breaker circuit. Will I be NEC compliant with this installation?

Thx in advance for you input
Gary

Old 12-04-20, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,946 Votes on 2,659 Posts
A lot of these type issues are addressed in the electrical codes but the local inspector can overule them based on his discretion.

The towel warmer company's state that the warmer must be at least 24" from the tub or shower.

2020 Code Language:

406.9(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. The identified zone is all-encompassing and shall include the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room.

Old 12-04-20, 05:40 PM
Z
Thx Pete for the quick reply,

As I read that, I would not be in compliance if it were to be a receptacle. The Towel Warmer will be hardwired (not plug in) and outside the tub rim. The warmer control would be aligned with the tub rim. Is the control considered a receptacle?

Gary

Old 12-04-20, 06:38 PM
Z
I think I found where the Towel Warmer control would be in violation. Section 404.4c - Switches must not be installed within tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: