Fan motor cleaning

Old 12-09-20, 10:45 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fan motor cleaning

Back To TopEditEdit SourcePMQuoteReply

Hey, I'm working on my first fan restoration, a Zero 1250r to be exact. Right now im in the process of cleaning the motor/strator. I would like to remove the coils, so I can replace the old paper with friction tape, and clean the metal housing. The problem I'm having is removing the metal tabs to get the coils off. This my first fan and first motor, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-09-20, 11:26 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Don't see how the rotor is held concentric to the stator so I would be reluctant to mess with the coils. These motors develop a small starting torque so any loss of alignment may result in motor not self starting when assembled.

Old 12-09-20, 01:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I wouldn't attempt taking it apart unless you intend to or are prepared to rewind it. Moving and messing with coils that old can be enough to knock the enamel coating off.

Old 12-09-20, 09:18 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok Thanks, removing coils is bad. The paper is worn off on those coils. How do I reinsulate without removing?

Old 12-10-20, 04:21 AM
B
The wire used in making the coils has an electrical insulating coating applied in the wire manufacturing process. Hence when this wire is used to wind a coil, there is no shorting between the turns of the coil even though they have physical contact. My guess is the paper around the coils is part of the coil manufacturing process and has no purpose once the finished coil is installed in the final product.

Old 12-10-20, 04:48 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
My guess is the paper around the coils is part of the coil manufacturing process and has no purpose once the finished coil is installed in the final product.
I think your guess is wrong. Rather than use my own words I'll copy from an Internet article...

"The conductor used during wiring is to be insulated from ground and each other as there is potential difference among them. In general, after few turns of winding insulation paper is inserted to avoid Inter-turn Breakdown.Suppose the winding is of 200V having 1000 turns, this means the difference between 1st turn and last turn will be about 1kV. So only Enameled insulation will not withstand this voltage.

That's why paper insulation is used in winding."

Old 12-10-20, 01:49 PM
B
Norm, I have never seen paper between turns on AC induction motor coils including the one in the picture of the AC motor provided by OP. The back EMF of the motor coils is controlled by the inductance of the coil and the rate of change of current. The polarity of the back EMF is opposite to the voltage that caused it. I think the info you copied is not for a AC motor coil. Just think, in the example above the coil thickness would grow by 3 inches if a sheet of 0.003 thick paper was placed between each turn. AC induction motor coils are immersed in shellac, then baked to insure no relative motion turn to turn that could result in a short. I doubt the motor in the OP's picture is larger than 3 inch wide by 3 inch high x length. Come to think of it, I also have never seen paper between turns on AC transformer coils. Have you?

Old 12-10-20, 02:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
In the factories I've been in the paper or tape is just used to hold the coil of wire together between steps in manufacturing. If you look a motor's windings the tape/paper is not continuous and is just a few bands which leave about half the windings exposed without any tape.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: