Smoke Detector

Old 12-09-20, 07:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoke Detector

I was replacing smoke detectors for a friend in an old house. The last one in the basement I went to change has two outlets in the living room on the first floor jumping off of them and a 3 wire jumping to the other smoke in the basement. I made the mistake of not taking a mental picture of how it was wired. One of the wires was not attached and had wire nuts on it. When I went to splice the wires together one of the wires coming from an outlet started to arc and tripped the breaker. I tried to connect what I thought were the other two wires that were initially connected and reset the breaker but it started making a humming noise.

How do I get the outlet in the living room upstairs to work again?

Why was there a wire not connected to anything in the box?

Old 12-09-20, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Daisy chained 120v/battery back up smoke detectors are supposed to be on lighting circuits..... not receptacle circuits. Typically those detectors have three wires. The white and black are 120v power and the red is the interconnect wire. All the white wires should be connected together as well as all of the blacks. The red wire should be connected to the smoke detectors as an interconnect but nothing else.

Old 12-09-20, 07:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete. I tried splicing all black to black, white to white and red to red. That is how I did the others. On this particular one it began arcing then all the smokes in the house started making noise at once then the breaker tripped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: