Need help with outlet receptacle wiring ASAP

Old 12-16-20, 08:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with outlet receptacle wiring ASAP

Hello all,
I was using my vacuum and the outlets in the converted garage that I live in stopped working. I went and bought a kit with the outlet tester, the no touch tester and also a multimeter. I have a total of 6 outlets that are not working at all. I plugged the outlet tester into one and it read open neutral. I put it in all the remaining 5 and same thing. I replaced an outlet that was old and wiggly with a new one that is a Surge protected outlet. I reconnected the two black and two white. I noticed the ground was attached to the metal box i thought i was to remove it and connect to the green screw on receptacle. Put everything back turned power on and tested all again and now they all read open hot. Its cold outside now I have no heat the room isn't heated i use a portable heater. I have a daughter and we have turtles that need certain lights on daily and a heater in their water to keep the temp at 78 degrees. Their water is now cold at 62 degrees they will get sick and die and the water is gross because the filter cant operate. I have no money due to job loss during pandemic to hire someone. I thought it would be a simple fix. Was i to leave that wire attached to the metal box and no ground to green screw or untwist second ground from that one and attach that one to the green and leave the other one attached to the box? I am very capable i just cant find answers. Help please

Old 12-16-20, 08:17 PM
S
P.s.

The metal clamp that was holding the ground wire broke so how would i reattach it to the box

Old 12-16-20, 08:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Is there a GFCI outlet in the garage? I have encountered garages where all the outlets were downstream of one GFCI. A ground issue would cause the GFCI to trip. With any luck, maybe you'll find one and be able to reset it.

Old 12-16-20, 08:56 PM
S
It is new

There was a regular outlet i replaced with that kind because the turtles tank is by that outlet. Lots of water. But that wasn't my question. My outlet tester light read open hot after reading open neutral and now im wondering if i dis the ground wire wrong

Old 12-16-20, 09:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
It was a quick thought because you're in a hurry. Sorry it didn't help.

Old 12-16-20, 09:02 PM
S
No worries thank you for trying

Old 12-17-20, 07:53 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Reset the circuit breaker which feeds the circuit by turning the breaker off and on. Also look for a GFCI receptacle tripped upstream as has been suggested. The vacuum cleaner may have over-loaded the circuit.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-17-20, 08:02 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
I'm betting Wirepuller's assessment is correct. This sounds like a typical circuit breaker tripping. I'm also surprised that this "apartment" is controlled by only one circuit? And if that is true then yes a vacuum cleaner starting up could cause a trip. I doubt there are any GFCI other than the one the OP installed.

Old 12-17-20, 09:00 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
If the OP installed a second GFCI in the circuit, that could be a problem. GFCI's are jealous, and do not like other GFCI's on their circuit.

Old 12-17-20, 10:18 AM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Multiple GFCIs will work fine on the same circuit. You just never know which one will trip on fault. It could be any one of them or more than one if connected via the LOAD terminals of the previous one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: