Electrical Wiring Routing Under House

Old 06-17-01, 08:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a house that has a very shallow attic space. I want to rewire the house from underneath.
Can I do this within Code, and if so, do I need special type wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-01, 08:33 AM
Visiting Guest
What is underneath? Full basement finished/unfinished,crawl space,etc. Where is the CB panel? 1 or 2 story house and how old-lath and plaster or sheetrock? Complete or partial re-wiring? What is the existing wiring?Probably the wiring method you'll use is type RX (romex)

Old 06-18-01, 03:05 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you are wanting to run type NM cable [Romex] then it would not be a violation of the NEC. However that Romex will have to be installed in that crawl space on running boards or along framing members of the dwelling. YOu are not allowed to clothes line from floor joist to floor joists through the air.

Switchman asked a series of questions. It would be in your best interest to answer his questions. Your answers would give us a chance to warn you of such things a fire blocks inside walls, special angled style drilling to hit inside your walls, etc.

Rewires are most commonly performed in the crawl space as you are thinking. However there are many tricks to the trade that we can tell you to make you job easier and possibly avoid your having to damage walls in the process, if we get the answers to the questions that switchman asked.

Good Luck

Wg