Push in connectors not allowed for grounds?

Old 12-22-20, 10:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Push in connectors not allowed for grounds?

I just had my rough in electrical inspection for my bathroom remodel. I am using Wago lever push in connectors in all the boxes. The inspector stated the grounds are not allowed to be push in connectors. They have to be wire nuts. Even though he said he does not like the push in connectors on the hot and neutral they are allowed.
So is this a code rule or just something he is making up?

skeeter

Old 12-22-20, 11:38 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, sounds like something hes making up, did he state you the code rule? The AHJ all have their own little quirks.
Geo 🇺🇸

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 12-22-20, 11:47 AM
C
Received 122 Votes on 97 Posts
I had not heard of that. I have an electrical inspection coming up next week. I used push in connectors for the grounds.

A few years ago I helped my son do the electrical wiring when he refinished his basement. I used the feed through green wire nuts for the ground wires. The inspector made us replace them all with crimps. No code cited or reason given just that was what he wanted.

Old 12-22-20, 04:39 PM
C
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Sounds ridiculous. According to him, the wires that carry current in their normal operation can be connected with push-ins, but the wires that should only carry current during a fault require wire nuts.

If AHJ's are going to make their own additions to NEC, at least have them make sense.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 12-22-20, 05:24 PM
S
I don't understand it either. I didn't want to question too hard as he is already kind of a grumpy old man and I know better than to anger an inspector. Not a big deal to change but was just wondering if it was his own made up BS.

skeeter

Old 12-22-20, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
The inspector stated the grounds are not allowed to be push in connectors. They have to be wire nuts
I used the feed through green wire nuts for the ground wires. The inspector made us replace them all with crimps.
Neither of these are requirements in the NEC. As long as the splicing device is listed for the particular use, then they are approved under the NEC.

That said, an inspector can enforce any rule they want, any way they want. Most cases it is just easier to do what they want and move on.

Old 12-23-20, 12:18 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
That said, an inspector can enforce any rule they want, any way they want. Most cases it is just easier to do what they want and move on.
Very true, but I sometimes like to ask the inspector to point me to the provision in the code he is referencing, knowing it's just something he made up. The AHJ has full authority to add rules to or take rules away from the adopted code, but technically that must be done by ordinance. I am not above going over the inspector's head right to the boss, the Chief Inspector, in some cases. This can sometimes be risky for future encounters with the same inspector, but the inspectors need to understand that when you are sure of your ground you won't be rolled over.

Old 12-23-20, 01:21 PM
S
It's not that big of a deal in the long run. I'd rather bow a little to satisfy him now rather than have to bend over a lot later.

skeeter

Old 12-24-20, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
The inspector should be able to show you the adopted rules. Inspectors that enforce whims and because i said so need to be called on that crap. It only hurts everyone with unequal enforcement.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: