New Floodlight Install - power source/wiring advice

Old 12-22-20, 12:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Floodlight Install - power source/wiring advice

I'm looking to have a floodlight installed at my house. I'm going to have an electrician do the work as I'm a novice with electrical DIY but before I call the electrician, I want to get advice on the best way to wire a power source for the floodlight. The first attached image shows where two exterior lights exist on the front of the garage and where I want to install the floodlight (in the middle). The second image is taken from the inside of the garage facing out. There are electrical outlets in the garage on the back wall as well as for the garage opener on the ceiling. All that said, what would be the best power source for the floodlight and is it easy enough to get the wiring through the brick or would the wiring need to be exposed on the outside? Any input would be great, TIA and happy holidays!

Last edited by PJmax; 01-15-21 at 08:53 PM. Reason: resized pics/labeled one
Old 12-22-20, 12:40 PM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
The electrician will figure all that out. It will not need the wiring exposed on the outside. If it needs to be exposed it would be on the inside.

Old 12-22-20, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Those two outside fixtures would be of little use especially if they are on their own switch.
What are you installing...... floods with a motion sensor ?
If your set on that exact location..... connecting to the garage door receptacle would probably be the easiest and least disruptive.

I recognize that style of building. An alternative location would be in the dormer above the brick area. Take power from a receptacle up there. A plus with a higher mounting location is not being blinded when pulling in the driveway.

shobuddy voted this post useful.
Old 01-15-21, 05:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJ, it is a floodlight with motion and camera made by Eufy. I hadn't thought of being blinded when pulling out of the garage at night but thats an excellent point. These lights are pretty bright. At the same time the higher install would capture less faces on the camera. I'm getting ready to install this weekend. Where would you put it?

Old 01-15-21, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
If you were to mount it at A..... you'd keep it just high enough to wire thru thru the garage ceiling to the door operator.

I typically install cameras under the eave (B)...... all the way to the left or right. A flood/camera may want to be in the middle. You could still wire to the door operator.

I have installed motion floodlights on the dormer in the C location. That method depends on where there are receptacles in that room. I have installed them at the top of the dormer with a switch in that room.

Old 01-16-21, 07:29 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
Check the specs for the camera motion detector. Some do not work well (or at all) for motion coming directly at it. Many detectors require motion across the field of view to work well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: