120v Generator into 240v Panel

Old 12-27-20, 12:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
120v Generator into 240v Panel

Tried to ask a follow up question on an old thread but was advised to just start a new one.

I have a Honda EU2000I generator. I'm wanting to connect to my panel to run my refrigerator and furnace in the event of a power outage. The EU2000I is has an output of 120V - 2000W, 16.7A (surge) and 1600W, 13.3A (continuous). Yes I realize a larger generator would be better but I have this already so for now I want to put it to use if/when needed.

I have an interlock already installed on the panel and had a single pole 30A breaker wired to a 30A receptacle for the generator. What I discovered though is that only one branch of the panel was energized. So, for example, my refrigerator and a couple of the kitchen plugs are on a double-pole 20A breaker. Only one line out of that breaker was energized (in this case it was the black. the red was dead). So the fridge would not run. My furnace, however, which is on a single pole breaker was energized and able to operate just fine.

I can put a double pole breaker in, but I'm not sure how to wire it so that I get 120v to both branches of the panel. Would I just connect the red and black to the hot side of the receptacle and then one to each side of the double pole breaker?

I do believe I have a number of circuits that have shared neutrals (MWBC)... though I'm not certain how to identify which ones (in the panel or otherwise) I THINK I know which ones they are and I could avoid these circuits if necessary. If there's a way for me to test to make certain I'd love to know how.

Last edited by BrewPat; 12-27-20 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 01:39 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
You can not power both sides of the shared neutral circuits. It will overload the neutral. You need to decide which half to power up. If that half is not currently powering up then swap the red and black on the double pole breaker and the other half will power up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: