Basement finish

Old 12-28-20, 05:43 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement finish

Hey all! Looking for some suggestions, tips, order, etc. So I am at the electrical part of my finishing my basement. Few bedrooms, living room, bathroom, laundry, closets, pretty simple. I have a buddy helping me who knows all things electrical and we started today, but it got me thinking. What is the best order of doing the electrical with the rough-in & final state inspections?
Running all wire to outlets/switches/lighting
Running runs to panel in garage
Rough in inspection
Drywall
Hooking up outlets/switches
Final inspection

Am I missing something? Does the panel get hooked up before the rough in? Seems funny the final is when it's all said and done, what if something doesn't work? How do outlets/switches/lights get tested before the final with nothing hooked up to the panel? I feel as if I've pestered my buddy enough so reaching out, plus I enjoy this stuff and hearing varying opinions.

Any insight into these questions would be much appreciated!

Old 12-28-20, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
For the rough-in inspection, everything that will be concealed by drywall or other wall/ceiling/floor finishes will be required to be installed. That means all cables should be properly secured, all cables should be installed in boxes (with the exception for things that will be cut in later or surface mounted) Cables should be stripped of the outer jacket and wires should be spliced and ready to be connected to devices. After the rough-in inspection passes, you can then insulate, install the drywall, tape, and paint. After painting, you can install the devices and finish. You can install devices before painting but it will be easier to paint without the devices on.

Does the panel get hooked up before the rough in?
Cables should be installed into the panel but they do not need to be hooked up. Again, anything that will be concealed should be installed for the rough-in. I like to do as much as I can when the walls are open. It is easier to identify what cable is what and makes the finish go easier.

Seems funny the final is when it's all said and done, what if something doesn't work?
That is your problem, not the inspectors.

How do outlets/switches/lights get tested before the final with nothing hooked up to the panel?
They don't really. You just need to look at everything closely and make sure everything is correct. One way to check is to follow the home run from the panel and follow it from box to box until the end of the run. Switch boxes need to have at least one cable in (might be two) and one cable out to the lights. Receptacles should be one in and one out until the last box.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: