Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Opinion of putting main breaker box in wall on the back side of shower stall

Old 01-01-21, 04:05 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am needing to upgrade my electric service from 100 AMP to 200 AMP. I will be putting in a new outside meter box and installing a new 200 AMP main breaker. To reduce the amount of time without power and attempt to bring some things up to code, I am wanting to put the new 200 AMP main breaker box in a different location than the old breaker box, but close enough to keep from having to run a bunch of new wire runs.

The breaker box is in the laundry room and is on a wall that is shared with a bathroom on the other side. The new location of the breaker box will have the back of the box in a wall cavity that has a pre fab fiberglass shower stall that is just attached to studs with no drywall between the shower and the stud wall. No water lines run in that cavity because the shower faucet is at the other end of the shower.

If the picture shows up, Old meter box is red box on outside of house. Green box will be new meter box.

Old breaker box is light blue box above the electric dryer. New main breaker box will be the purple box.

Anyone have thoughts about the new location? Has anyone found a real life situation like this that had a problem?

Thank you for looking.

Old 01-01-21, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Since the panel will not allow the unfused conductors to be as short as practical you will need a disconnect near the meter. That makes the new panel a subpanel and grounds and neutrals will need to be separated. A 4 wire feeder will be needed. System ground and bonding will be at the disconnect.

krifenbu voted this post useful.
Old 01-01-21, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In addition to pcboss's good info...... you'll need to leave the blue panel there as a splice point as none of the circuits will reach the new panel and would need to be extended. Not a cake job in a 2x4 wall.

Old 01-01-21, 07:36 PM
K
Thank you for the reply.

I forgot to include that the new outside meter box does have a 200 AMP disconnect in it. I will be running 4 conductors from the outside meter box/breaker to the new 200 AMP breaker box and will not be bonding the neutral and ground within the breaker box.

As soon as the POCO de-energizes the old meter box, I will move all the house circuits from the old breaker box to the new 200 Amp main breaker box that goes behind the shower stall. After inspection and after the new meter box gets energized, then the old boxes will be removed.

FYI, old meter box is actually just a 60 amp meter base ring. Old inside breaker panel doesn't have a main disconnect in it either. Breaker panel shows it was installed in the 1960s.

Main reason for my question was if there was anyone that had concerns about the main breaker box in the house near the shower stall.

Thank you again.

Old 01-01-21, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
In your diagram..... the plumbing is in the opposite wall from the panel..... correct ?
The panel should be fine on the opposite wall. Make sure the shower wall is sealed correctly.

Old 01-01-21, 07:51 PM
K
Thank you for your reply. I was in the middle of my other post while you answered. I appreciate the advice and If you knowledgeable guys have any more tips, I do appreciate them.

I think (hope) that most of my circuits will be able to be pulled and put in the new breaker box. This project started from the bathroom remodel and new drywall so I wanted to upgrade the breaker panel while the walls are open and the wires are relatively accessible.

Thanks again.

Old 01-01-21, 07:57 PM
K
Yes, the plumbing will be at the top end of the 48" x 35" shower stall in the diagram. Away from the new breaker panel. I didn't know if there would moisture on the outside of the shower that would cause trouble. I will put a plastic barrier up between the shower stall and the back of the new breaker panel.

I would post a picture of the old breaker panel, but then you guys would be running to my house yielding fire extinguishers.

Once again, you posted while I typed.

Thank you.

Old 01-02-21, 04:35 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
You can temporarily run a single cable, say, 6/3, from the top of the old panel to a pair of breakers in the new panel. This will give you some weekends to move the branch circuits to the new box rather than have to do it overnight when the power company de-energizes the old panel and energizes the new meter..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: