Outdoor outlet

Old 06-18-01, 12:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Building a deck off my kitcher, there is a light but no outlet outside. I'd like to add an outlet or two to one of my existing circuits. Can I just add to the dishwasher circuit (probably not as not GFCI protected)? My kitchen outlets are GFCI, so can I just shoot a wire through the wall and put an exterior box outside where the wire comes through (no conduit this way)? Or do I have to add a separate circuit from the breaker panel?
Thanks!
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-01, 04:46 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You said;
Building a deck off my kitcher, there is a light but no outlet outside.

Reply;
If you have power to the switch on the outside wall controlling your outside light then you could fish a wire from that switch down the wall to a receptacle. But read on.

You said;
I'd like to add an outlet or two to one of my existing circuits. Can I just add to the dishwasher circuit (probably not as not GFCI protected)? My kitchen outlets are GFCI, so can I just shoot a wire through the wall and put an exterior box outside where the wire comes through (no conduit this way)? Or do I have to add a separate circuit from the breaker panel?

Reply;
The NEC forbids outside receptacles to be on any kitchen, dining, nook, or pantry receptacle.

There is a maximum at 100% load on a 20 amp circuit of 2400 watts. Your dishwasher can take as much as 2000 watts of that load. Not much to add to, then the NEC forbids tapping from any circuit with utilization equipment such as dishwashers that pull a load more than 50% of the total rating of that branch circuit serving it. Your dishwasher pulls well over half of a 20 amp circuit.

Remember your inside walls most likely do not have insulation to fish through. My advice is to go into the crawl and drill a hole into the wall space of a living or bedroom receptacle circuit. Run a wire the same size as the existing wire serving that living or bedroom receptacle from that existing box into the crawl and over to the outside wall where you want your outside receptacle installed. Then if you have a wood sided house drill a hole into that outside wall and shove the wire up listening for it to get into the wall high enough. Then go outside and place a remodle box backwards against the outside wall. Trace the outline of that box and cut a hole into the sideing, then fish your wiring through that hole and install the remodle box into the outside wall where you cut the hole. The install a GFI receptacle and weather proof plate and you have it.

If you have brick or stone outside then dig a hole to the foundation below where you want the outside receptacle. Then take a piece of rigid 1/2 pipe or a long chisel and poke an hole through the cement block below earth grade. This hole is easily poked into the crawl space. Then install a piece of conduit through that hole then install an LB on the outside of the wall and a conduit up to where you want your outside receptacle to be installed. Mount a surface mount weatherproof receptacle box, GFI receptacle and GFI receptacle plate and you have it again.

If you want more than one outside receptacle then make a junction in the crawl allowing a split of the wire coming from the living or bedroom receptacle to go two more outside receptacles just repeating as above.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 06-19-01, 04:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. House is on a recently finished basement with a drop ceiling, but only the kitchen, bathroom, and family room are above the basement, rest is above garage (drywall). I already added a garage outlet to the family room circuit so I don't want to do that. I'll either add to the basement circuit (insulated wall) or add a circuit to the box. I'll do like you said and use a remodel box, as the house is vinyl siding on OSB above deck level. Thanks again.
Matt