Garage outlets

Old 01-06-21, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Garage outlets

I have one 20 amp dedicated circuit for my garage for 4 outlets. I want to add another outlet in my garage and put in two LED lights in the garage attic by wiring into an existing 20 AMP circuit that only feeds 3 receptacles in a family room that backs up to the garage. I will be protecting the circuit with a GFCI/AFCI breaker. Does code permit having an outlet in the garage that shares a circuit with the living quarters even though I already met the portion of the code requiring a dedicated circuit for outlets or do all outlets need to be on a separate circuit from the living area?

Popular Reply

01-06-21, 07:17 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 1,347 Votes on 1,245 Posts
210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached garages
Since you've already met the code..... I don't see a reason why you can't do what you want.
I couldn't find a place in the code that said you cannot do that.

Old 01-06-21, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,347 Votes on 1,245 Posts
210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached garages
Since you've already met the code..... I don't see a reason why you can't do what you want.
I couldn't find a place in the code that said you cannot do that.

palmcoast, Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: