Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

One outlet says nothing, the other says open hot and ground. Thoughts?

Old 01-07-21, 10:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'll try doing the best I can to explain my issue.

Ive got a few outlets and my wifi router on the same circuit. The wifi and outlets weren't working today so I broke out my receptacle tester and wireless AC power detector.

There were two outlets that I could see had problems, so I tried both of them. When I used the receptacle tester on the first none of the lights lit up (the light built into the outlet was also off). However, the wireless AC detector said that there was AC.

For the second outlet, the receptacle tester said that there was a hot and ground reversal. The wireless AC detector also said that there was AC power.

There's a node where the outlets connect to and the AC detector did indicate that there was AC.

Since I haven't done any recent wiring, what might the issue be and how can I help fix it?

Old 01-07-21, 11:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Check the wire connections at each outlet. There is probably a loose connection. The outlets are all in a line (series). There is probably one outlet in that line with a bad connection so power isn't being passed on to the others.

Toss that power detector. They can be quite unreliable. Use a contact type electrical tester or multi meter.

Old 01-07-21, 03:28 PM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
Hot ground reverse is usually a sign of an open neutral.
Check the two dead receptacles and then working ones near them if that doesn't fix it.
If any of them are using the pushin back stab connections move the wires to the screws. Back stabs are a very common cause of this problem.

Old 01-14-21, 05:14 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
he wireless AC detector said that there was AC.
Those are fun toys, the kids love them.

Old 01-15-21, 02:04 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts

Joshua:
...When I used the receptacle tester on the first none of the lights lit up (the light built into the outlet was also off)...
By any chance the outlet (receptacle) that has the light built into, does it have a "Test" and "Reset" button on the face of it?

If the outlet (receptacle) does have these buttons try pressing the "Reset" button.
If it does not have these buttons let us know.

Built in light points me to a GFCI receptacle possibly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: