Splicing large conductors in a panel enclosure

Old 01-09-21, 07:12 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Splicing large conductors in a panel enclosure

I have a main panel and two subpanels very close to each other (one is 4" away and the other one is on the other side of the wall.

There are some splices inside the main panel. The conductors coming from the meter is AWG 3/0. What is the green plastic splices call in the images below? The one that the main conductors and the feeder conductors are lumped together.

Is this the best way to do these big splices or are there better ways?

Old 01-09-21, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Those are actually pretty small. There are others. I'm partial to Polaris connectors.
What is it you are trying to do..... just neaten things up ?

You can use Polaris connectors for a little neater job and possible smaller connector.
Polaris connectors
Blackburn version
llsco tap connection

Old 01-09-21, 07:57 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Inside that green plastic is just a lug splice block. Basically a metal block with multiple terminals. It is same concept as polaris connector except that you put insulation after making splice. I believe that is now out of favor, but nothing wrong with that splice and no reason to replace unless you are replacing the panel.

Old 01-09-21, 09:17 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I am changing the subpanel on the other side and need longer feeder wires from here, which means I need to open these two splices up and change out to longer conductors. For this reason I am wondering if I should reuse them, or if I should change the way the way these connections are made.

Old 01-10-21, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The smaller conductors do not appear to have overcurrent protection. Rarely do tap rules apply in residential.

Old 01-10-21, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I believe that might be a wire piercing tap. It has teeth that pierce the outside of the insulation to make a connection to the conductor inside. I am not sure if they should be reused but I suspect you can use new ones. You could also install a split bolt for the tap but that might more difficult to install.

I would say to install a breaker but it appears you are out of space.

If those wires go to a disconnect with overcurrent protection, that would likely be a legal tap. Residental or not.

Old 01-10-21, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You should reuse the existing taps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: