Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Re: Getting new electric service panel and itís distance from gas meter.

Old 01-15-21, 01:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I wish to request your expert opinion and comments on this issue since I do not trust the solar companies about this.

I have attached some pictures for your reference.

Our existing electrical service panel in 100A.

We are planning to get a 7.2KW solar system and will be buying an electric car this month.

A few solar companies are saying we need a new 20A service panel because the current panel will not be sufficient for solar and electric car. And few others say, we can make it work.

The upper cabinet houses the service panel and the lower one houses the gas meter.

The solar companies that are against changing the panel say that according to new codes, the eclectic service panel and the gas meter should be at least 36 inches apart. And if I get new serve panel, I will have to either move the service panel or the gas meter to a different location and that will cost a lot of money.

My questions:

1. Do I really need a new 200A panel for my scenario?

2. Is it true that electric service panel and gas meter should be 36 inch apart, even if they are in their own separate housing (see picture)?

3. If they need to be, canít we move the electric panel towards the top in the same cabinet? Right now they are about 30 inch apart and if service panel is moved up; the upper edge of gas meter will be more than 40 inches away from lower edge of service panel.

Could anyone please help me out and also suggest the best way forward in the long run.

Thank you for your help !!

Old 01-15-21, 05:26 AM
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
Hi, I would say the location is the least of your worries, first off, thatís an FPE panel, I doubt you will find new breakers, and if you do there is no space for additional breakers ,it sure appears that a new service is the first place to start.
Geo🇺🇸

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 01-15-21, 11:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 172 Votes on 153 Posts
Agreed with Geo. That looks like a Stab-Loc panel, which is a well-known fire hazard.
If it were my house, with the solar investment, I'd also update/upgrade the service and panel. As long as you're updating, might as well go to 200A as 100A vs 200A is a minimal cost increase.

But to know if a 100A service could handle your loads, you'd need to do a demand load calculation. Easiest way is to Google 'demand load calculator', there are a bunch of online calculators out there.

Old 01-16-21, 09:12 AM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
The solar companies that are against changing the panel say that according to new codes, the eclectic service panel and the gas meter should be at least 36 inches apart. And if I get new serve panel, I will have to either move the service panel or the gas meter to a different location and that will cost a lot of money.
I'd ask for a code reference on that. I am wondering if you are dealing with a true professional or a salesman.

Old 01-16-21, 11:18 AM
A
Received 49 Votes on 44 Posts
They are likely confusing the dedicated space for indoor requirements where nothing foreign can be below. There might be local requirements, though. The working space requirements might be a bit sketchy as the panel is recessed with a door. 3' might be if they consider the electrical panel a source of ignition.

Old 01-16-21, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts

Gas meter clearance to sources of ignition (from Inspectapedia)

Electrical equipment that can serve as a source of ignition is defined as an ignition source if it creates an arc or spark during operation. Normal building electrical wiring and junction boxes are not sources of ignition. Electrical panels, most electrical switches, relays, and similar controls that can create a spark when operated are considered a "source of ignition". Electric meters on buildings are not considered a source of ignition.

These regulations require a three-foot clearance from indoor meters to sources of ignition, but have no comparable requirement when the meter is located outdoors. At least 3 feet, per NEC 110-26 & NFPA 54-National Fuel Gas Code for premises-owned gas meters.

Technically the solar guys are correct.
It's not that the meters are too close..... it's the panel attached to your electric meter is a source of ignition.

You'd need to check with your local AHJ.

Old 01-17-21, 10:39 PM
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Four things Eww solar second Eww FPE and third I had a solar company call me and said I was eligible for free solar panels and related equipment I said cool I like free stuff send me the equipment as I rent! Three seconds later the line went dead with the click.. # four eww solar!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: