Turn smart switch into permanent on

Old 02-25-21, 08:40 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turn smart switch into permanent on

Hi, I had a smart switch that I just removed from the left side and trying to figure out how to make the light that the smart switch controlled permanently on. Do I just connect those two wires together with a nut? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-21, 08:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
Yes, connecting the two hots (black wires) will send power to the light continuously. Better would be to install a light switch and just leave it in the on position.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-25-21, 10:02 AM
K
Thanks for the quick response! It's a rental and it used to control the time of when an outdoor light would turn on and off and now replacing that with a ring floodlight, so don't want guests to be able to flip it off.

I tried connecting the two together with a nut and still not getting power at the junction box. Anything else that could be the issue? Thanks again!

Old 02-25-21, 11:46 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
I see three black wires. You probably need to connect all three.

Old 02-25-21, 11:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
"...still not getting power at the junction box."
What junction box? The one in your photo?

Is one of the two black wires in your photo always on/hot/energized?

Old 02-25-21, 12:58 PM
K
No, in the photo, of the two wires, the one on the right is always hot (when I flip the breaker on, I get a reading on that one but not the one on the left).

By junction box, I was referring to where these go to, on the other side of the garage where the light is.

Old 02-25-21, 02:48 PM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Check the connection.
Show us the old switch.
Connecting the two wires should turn on the light.

Old 02-25-21, 04:59 PM
K
Figured it out! I took the timer switch off to take a better picture and noticed the neutral splice had come apart - probably while I was removing the old switch. Hooked those 2 back together and we're a go! Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 02-26-21, 05:24 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
If you can't find a blank filler use a regular switch but don't connect the wires I bet that will drive the renters mad "What does this switch control?"

Old 02-27-21, 04:12 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I never liked the idea of a light without a switch.
Why not get one of those locking switches. Needs a key to turn on and off.

But I kind of like CircuitBreakers idea. Must be the Devil in me.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 02-27-21, 08:06 AM
D
Received 54 Votes on 52 Posts
Protecting home electronics from transients

While DIY treads focus on fixing problems it also opportunity to avoid future ones.. Here is how to provide whole house protection for smart switches, dimmers, TVs and other electronic based devices.

AT&T for over 100 years on home telephones has used gas discharge voltage protectors in 2 wire terminal blocks . AT&T made quality stuff but also protected it to reduce repair costs and insure reliable service.

Today's home electronics often have built in protectors (often blue MOVs) .. TV, computers, etc.. But items may not have them, or are ineffective.

Home owners are oblivious to transients ….micro second pluses of several thousand volts. Transients do not dim lights or slow down motors but surges do. Over long periods … months, years, electronics/semiconductors in those units are damaged by transients, not surges and go bad.

On 120 volt power lines transient protectors clamp voltages to under 200 volts. DIYer should look on them as cost saving protectors of their items, not insurance.

For various reason the protectors should be wired 2 pole 240 volt 20 amp breaker. If protector goes bad it will pop breaker indicating problem. While protector has build in protection this is double safety. DIYer should look on them as cost saving protectors of their items, not insurance.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/l...le-not-me.html

Last edited by doughess; 02-27-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 04:49 PM
D
Received 54 Votes on 52 Posts
Prior doughess post #11 has wrong link for protector. Here is correct one:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Square-D...120-240V-36-kA

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: