Hot Tub Rewire

Old 03-07-21, 03:23 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Tub Rewire

Aloha,

First time do-it-yourselfer for 220 hot tub hookup. I'm pretty handy have been around contractors all my life, my family is in the construction industry. I'm not completely incompetent but know when I might have bitten off more than I comfortably know. I would normally invite one of my family members over that knows electrical but since I moved to hawaii I don't have that luxury any more.

The original hookup to hot tub was a 110 GFCI outlet 3/4 inch pipe with a GFCI plug going to hot tub. The tub can do either 110 or 220 so I decided to upgrade it until we decide to remodel and put in-ground or bigger hot tub aboveground. The hot tub was there when we bought the house so it works for now until we have the money to really do something nicer.

So looked at the manual it was very specific about using solid 8 awg for the wiring. Now it was talking about the grounding so I assumed that was just for the ground. I could not find any wire that matched 8 awg solid other than bare. Now I decided to keep the outlet as well because it is in a useful location. It was originally run with a romex style cable in the conduit. So I bought 8 awg stranded for the hot tub and new romex for the outlet. I could not fit the romex and the other wires together in the 3/4 pipe, so I stripped the romex casing and ran the wires separate. So I now have 2 12 awg solid stands shielded 1 12 awg bare copper ground, 3 8 awg stranded shielded and 1 8 awg bare all running through the 3/4 conduit. So a total of 7 wires running through the conduit. Then it exits the outlet box with liquid tight non-metallic conduit to the hot tub. I can't help but feel I did something wrong with the bare grounding and the romex single strand l, should I have used all shielded stranded wire? I should note the conduit had water in it so I can't rule out that it is cracked under the concrete. Will add photos shortly, and yes when you see the photos I have a GFI breaker on order; the local stores did not have them so I will be putting that in the next few days. Should I rip it all out and rerun stranded shielded for the outlet and grounds or will it be safe for now?

BTW it's nice seeing the hot tub heat up a few degrees in minutes instead of hours 🤣 that was crazy astonishing when I turned it on last night. I thought this cheap hot tub did not have the ability to actually heat that fast.

Attached Images

Last edited by eleelehonu; 03-07-21 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 03-07-21, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You will need a sub panel near the spa for servicing. You can run individual conductors to it but anywhere outside the house requires an insulated ground wire, It can be solid or stranded. The spa will need to be protected by a 2P50A GFI circuit breaker.

Old 03-07-21, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
Conductors #8 and larger are stranded by code. They would be too stiff if solid.

Old 03-07-21, 04:16 PM
E
Ok, I will pull new grounds for both, should I replace the solid wires for the outlet or should I leave them alone, and is the ground for the outlet stranded or solid as well? Just confused as to why it called out solid in the manual.

Old 03-07-21, 04:20 PM
E
Understood about the GFI breaker the manual for this hot tub specifies 40 AMP GFI so that is what I am ordering, and is subpanel that is currently located on the side of the house sufficient for subpanel or do I need yet another subpanel for the subpanel next to the hot tub?

Breaker that is on order

Old 03-07-21, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Use an 8 AWG solid copper wire and attach it to the grounding lug on the power pack, located
in the equipment compartment.
They're calling for solid wiring for bonding.

Old 03-07-21, 04:37 PM
Received 106 Votes on 94 Posts
I could not fit the romex and the other wires together in the 3/4 pipe, so I stripped the romex casing and ran the wires separate.
NM cable (aka Romex) cannot be used outside, not even in conduit. Is it possible what you called romex was actually UF cable? Regardless of NM or UF cable, you cannot strip the sheathing and then shove the conductors through conduit. Replace it all with individual THWN conductors.

Old 03-07-21, 06:06 PM
E
Can all of the conductors be stranded? I am having a hard time finding solid THWN unless I buy a spool of 500 feet at over $1,000.

Old 03-07-21, 06:16 PM
E
Neverminded found it at home depot had to really search for it but got-um in 50 foot rolls. But hot tub is still going to be stranded if I go to the 8 AWG shielded because I'm not finding solid 8 AWG that is shielded.

Using this for outlet

Using this for hot tub

Will this work?

Old 03-07-21, 06:25 PM
E
They're calling for solid wiring for bonding.
Ok so had to look up bonding to understand it correctly, so if I am getting this correctly basically from the motors to the PCB of the hot tub would be the bonding. Yes those do have 8 AWG solid core wires connecting them. So basically stranded to the PCB would be fine then?

Old 03-10-21, 07:48 AM
Received 106 Votes on 94 Posts
Can all of the conductors be stranded? I am having a hard time finding solid THWN
I prefer all the conductors be stranded, except for the #8 copper bonding conductor which is supposed to be solid. The solid #8 bare for bonding is easy to find at the box stores or any supply house. It's been a long time since I've seen any insulated #8 solid wire, last I saw was Type TW.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: