Attic & Garage overhead lights & plugs

Old 06-20-01, 06:34 PM
Able Sashweight
Visiting Guest
What are the rules for installing fluorescent tube lights in an unfinished attic and an unfinished garage? In the attic I want light and power for projects on the attic (like rewiring). I the garage I'll want light and power for devious manly man type projects.

The attic has access only by hatchway. It is mansard style, meaning steeply pitched sides and a flat midsection I want the lights to hang from the ceiling. The maximum height is 8 feet. Walls, ceiling and floor are all unfinished.

The garage is a typical pitched raftered roof.

Can the lights hang from chains or do they need to be hard fastened to wood?

Can the wiring be exposed NM or does it need to be in conduit? I figure EMT for the garage.

Able

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-01, 06:26 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You said;
What are the rules for installing fluorescent tube lights in an unfinished attic and an unfinished garage? In the attic I want light and power for projects on the attic (like rewiring). I the garage I'll want light and power for devious manly man type projects.

The attic has access only by hatchway. It is mansard style, meaning steeply pitched sides and a flat midsection I want the lights to hang from the ceiling. The maximum height is 8 feet. Walls, ceiling and floor are all unfinished.

Reply;
No article in the NEC forbids flourescent fixtured in the attic or garage. However you may want to research how cold it gets in the attic in the winter. Rapid start flourescents tend to be slow and dim to start during cold weather. There is a high output style flourescent fixture that is much more expensive to buy but will work in cold weather.

You said;
The garage is a typical pitched raftered roof.

Can the lights hang from chains or do they need to be hard fastened to wood?

Reply;
Your choice depending on the type of flourescent fixtures you buy designed for chains or direct mounted

You said;
Can the wiring be exposed NM or does it need to be in conduit? I figure EMT for the garage.

Reply;
Type NM cable is allowed to be surface mounted as long as it is not exposed to physical damage. EMT is allowed to be installed in a garage but much more time consuming and expensive to install. Your choice again.

Hope this helps

Wg