In-Use Weatherproof Outlet Box

Old 04-10-21, 09:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In-Use Weatherproof Outlet Box

Hi,

Need some input on the proper weatherproof box to use for the purpose of plugging in an Arlo camera to a power source, located in an exterior soffit.

Camera is currently sitting on window sill and plugged into an outlet just inside this room. Not ideal because window has to remain slightly opened. I want to mount the camera where the arrow is pointing (using mounting hardware), but also want an exterior outlet here next to the camera in the soffit. The outlet box would not be vertically nor horizontally installed, but with the outlet box face/cover pointed downward.

Has anyone used a particular box in an instance like this?

Old 04-11-21, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 297 Posts
You have a couple of options:

You can use a surface weatherproof box like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...350G/300832220 and run the cable in the back of the box.

Or use a remodel box like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...120R/202077323 (or similar) and recess the box into the soffit. This might look neater but often the soffit material is not very rigid. This method may also be easier to get a cable to as the hole you cut will be the size of the box.

Old 04-11-21, 06:03 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Why not put the receptacle in the attic? Removes any weatherproof requirements and will be one less item to mount from an extension ladder.

Out of an abundance of caution, I would mount the receptacle and its electrical box inside a metal box with a cover.

Old 04-11-21, 06:38 AM
A
Thereís no attic above here. The finished ceiling inside will follow the contour of the roof line. The room is currently unfinished....

Old 04-11-21, 06:46 AM
A
Iíve worked that soffit before. Iíve mounted a motion sensing light fixture (out of frame, to the left, in the soffit). Iíve removed the vinyl soffit to place wood framing (support backing) for that fixture, so I have no issue doing the same for the cameraís soffit outlet. I just wanted to get input from folks on what is a good in-use weatherproof outlet box to use.

My concern regarding the second link in the first response above (Carlon box) is that it appears to be a standard outlet box and not weatherproof. The first link is a possibility, but I have to make sure that the plug end of the Arlo camera cord, will fit within while the cover is closed. Itís a pretty chunky cord plug.....

Old 04-11-21, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
My concern regarding the second link in the first response above (Carlon box) is that it appears to be a standard outlet box and not weatherproof.
That box would be recessed into the soffit which is not a wet location and therefore does not need to be weatherproof.

A receptacle installed under a soffit could be considered a damp location (instead of a wet location) which would allow using a standard outdoor cover instead of an in-use cover.

Old 04-11-21, 08:50 AM
A
Thank you for that clarification. I was concerned that a ďdriving rainĒ could possibly make the soffit considered as a wet location

Old 04-11-21, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
A receptacle installed under a soffit could be considered a damp location
It all depends on where you install the receptacle and how much of an overhang there is. Of course, you would be better off with an in-use cover for protection of the camera power supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: