getting ready for 2nd rough in inspection

Old 04-12-21, 07:20 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
getting ready for 2nd rough in inspection

Greeting. I'm finishing my basement and failed my 1st rough in inspection. One of the things was that my basement has a few ceiling mount CFL lights that builder installed before. The inspector wanted me to remove them since I am installing new recessed lights (which is reasonable).I left them there for temporary lighting so that he could see the work otherwise the basement would be dark. Now I removed all old lights and cables.

I saw that we are not supposed to connect any fixtures, switches or devices for rough in inspection, so what is the common practice to to provide temporary lighting for the inspector? Thanks!

Old 04-12-21, 07:33 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
That sounds like a bogus reject. What code reference says you have too many lights?

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 04-12-21, 07:50 AM
C
He didn't say I have too many lights. My plan was to remove them and use new lights so eventually I have to remove them anyway. But I just don't know how I am supposed to provide any lighting to the dark basement during the inspection if I am not supposed to install any switches/lights. I asked him with no straight answer.

Old 04-12-21, 07:54 AM
I
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Worklight and extension cord.

Old 04-12-21, 09:19 AM
C
Seems I will need to get my extension cord and floor lamp ready for action..

Old 04-12-21, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 297 Posts
I saw that we are not supposed to connect any fixtures, switches or devices for rough in inspection
This is not really true, but the site has to be safe. Often I will energize the lighting circuits so there are some lights available. Also, I will install a receptacle to use if there isn't one available. Of course, it is a lot easier to install the drywall without the devices on or and light fixtures installed.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: