single phase 115v ac motor questions

Old 04-14-21, 12:04 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
single phase 115v ac motor questions

I just got a NOS AC motor that was never used, has no wiring diagram and the Universal Electric Company went out of business years ago. It is a 4 lead motor with one black, one blue, one red and one white wire. The plate is marked VOLTS 115, CYCLES 60, Amps. 1.0, SER. 12V39067, RPMS 900. I think it may be a shaded pole motor but not sure. Does anyone know what type motor it is, what does SER. 12V39067 mean and how to connect a 115v three prong cable to it?

Old 04-14-21, 03:32 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
That is a three-speed fan motor. Probably for a fan-coil unit or an exhaust fan White is neutral. black is HI, blue is MED, red is LOW. Bare ground wire.
SER = serial number.
That is an air-over motor, so be sure is is in the air stream if used on a fan. If you aren't using it in a fan, external cooling will be needed.
Andy

Last edited by Andrew; 04-14-21 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 08:56 AM
H
wiring question

The wiring diagram below lists unused leads to be open. The photo of the motor shows the unused leads connected to each other. So I don't know if the connected leads, in the motor photo, are considered open. What do I do with the unused wires on my motor?

Thanks,
henrylr

Old 04-15-21, 02:50 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Ignore the photo of the motor. That isn't what you have. You have a couple choices as to the wiring. You can use a three-speed switch. Incoming hot would connect to the line side of the switch, then you'd connect the motor black to the HI terminal, blue to the MED terminal, and red to the LOW terminal. Connect white neutral to incoming line neutral with a wire nut.
Alternatively, if you only want to run the motor at one speed, you can connect incoming neutral to motor white, and connect incoming hot to EITHER motor black for HIGH, motor blue for MEDIUM, OR motor red for LOW. Use wire nuts for connections, and as caps on unused wires.
In any case, do not connect incoming hot to more than one incoming motor wire at a time. Hope that helps clear things up :-)
Andy

Old 04-15-21, 05:35 PM
H
wiring question answered

Thanks to all. It runs great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: