Can you install an electric baseboard in a garage?

Old 04-19-21, 07:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can you install an electric baseboard in a garage?

I am re-doing my garage and am considering putting an electric convention baseboard unit underneath my work bench. The issue is that I also am putting two outlets there and the electric baseboard heater would be underneath the outlets. I read in the installation guide for the baseboard heaters and it said they shouldn't be put under outlets. What are your thoughts on installing the baseboards in the garage and also about putting them near outlets?

Popular Reply

04-20-21, 07:55 AM
patmurphey
Received 8 Votes on 5 Posts
Infrared heater(s) aimed at your workspace would be a lot more logical in a garage, where heating the entire space would be expensive and less practical.

Old 04-19-21, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
You're putting the baseboard heater under the bench and the receptacles are over the bench ?
That shouldn't be an issue.

The heater will have specs that tell you how far to keep it from combustibles.... like a wooden workbench.

Old 04-20-21, 04:24 AM
A
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
Are you saying that the outlets (receptacles) would be under the bench also but above the baseboard heater?
If that is the case it really is not wise to put the outlet right above the heater. Electrical cord can heat up and melt etc.

How many individual electrical circuits are feeding your garage? Is your garage attached or detached?

Is the heater going to be 120v or 240v

pattenp voted this post useful.
Old 04-20-21, 07:55 AM
P
Received 8 Votes on 5 Posts
Infrared heater(s) aimed at your workspace would be a lot more logical in a garage, where heating the entire space would be expensive and less practical.

2john02458, bender1227 voted this post useful.
Old 04-20-21, 08:14 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The walls are open so I can run either a 120v or 240v line. One of my concerns is that I won't be using the space that much. So I might only turn the heat on 3 or 4 times a year during the winter months when I'm working in my garage. The concetion basebaord is cheaper but I'm thinking a radiant heater above the bench might be better.

Old 04-20-21, 08:42 AM
I
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
The radiant heater above the bench will be comfortable more quickly. If the floor is cold and your feet are too, small floor heating pads can help, and are inexpensive ($30-60).

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: