Jamming an outlet through extension rings

Old 04-20-21, 09:21 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jamming an outlet through extension rings

The person who put in the kitchen backsplash a long time ago put the tile around the outlet plate. I stacked two 3/8" extension rings so a plate will go over the tile without the plugs being too far recessed from the plate (I chipped away 1/2" of plaster from in front of the mud ring so the extension plates are flush against the box).

The issue is, I have to jam the outlet into the extension rings. There is contact between the screws and the extension rings. I can put electrical tape around the terminals and still barely get the extension rings on, but I have to tuck the tape back in as it gets pushed off. Is it OK to have zero clearance like that?

Old 04-20-21, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,526 Votes on 1,409 Posts
That is fine. The plastic spacers are non conductive and don't present a problem.

Those type spacers weren't designed for a GFI receptacle which is much larger than a standard device. I use a deeper but thinner extender made by Arlington. Makes a GFI install easier

Borad voted this post useful.
Old 04-20-21, 10:45 PM
B
That deeper one might have worked better for me because I'd have wiggle room to straighten the outlet, assuming it worked with my box. But I think I barely got it straight enough. I'll check again once I get the spacers that I need for the left side.

Old 04-21-21, 10:50 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Hi, how many conductors are attached to that receptacle, you could possibly use pigtails for a bit more flexibility.
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 04-21-21, 12:13 PM
B
Originally Posted by Geochurchi
Hi, how many conductors are attached to that receptacle, you could possibly use pigtails for a bit more flexibility.
Four, plus one ground that I added. Pigtails would have made it easier to push the outlet into the box, but it's already in. I'll keep it in mind for other outlets. The wiggle room that I was talking about was for making it level. The right side may be slightly higher than the left, but it may be OK. The box is probably slightly not level, and the extenders are firmly screwed to the box with no way to adjust them, and the outlet is jammed into the extenders with no wiggle room. I'm considering filing about 1/32" off of the inside of the extenders, but it's probably OK.

Old 04-21-21, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,526 Votes on 1,409 Posts
The green extender is hitting the grout on the bottom right. Try chipping that out a bit.
Looks like some ragged edges. A standard plate may not cover. You may need an oversize plate.

You have a GFI there. You said you have four wires going to the receptacle. If they are all on the LINE side of the receptacle..... you could use tails. If you are using LINE/in and LOAD/out then all four wires must go to the receptacle.

Old 04-21-21, 09:09 PM
B
The green extender is hitting the grout on the bottom right. Try chipping that out a bit.
I picked that out with a pick but I'll pull out the box and chip away more. The screw holes are slightly oversized and I want to take full advantage of that.

You have a GFI there. You said you have four wires going to the receptacle. If they are all on the LINE side of the receptacle..... you could use tails. If you are using LINE/in and LOAD/out then all four wires must go to the receptacle.
It's two on line and two on load, but I was thinking of extending some of them to make things more flexible, not to combine them. But I guess I won't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: