Entire 2nd floor wired to one 15A breaker!!!!!

Old 04-26-21, 01:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Entire 2nd floor wired to one 15A breaker!!!!!

Reusing a title from someone else post as it is very relating.

I am in a 3 story townhouse, almost 1500sq ft, built in 2016. The whole 2nd floor (2 bdr 1 bath), lights, and outlets share one 15A circuit. I find that very, very bizarre. The breaker have flipped on us couple of time now. We use one of the bedrooms as an office for me and my girlfriend to work from home. The other room is a gym, with my stationary bike and weights.

We first realized this when we tried turning on our portable A/C as it was getting hot. That flipped the breaker real quick. At the time we both were on our computers working. The next time the breaker flipped was when we tried cooking hotpot with an electric hotpot. We recently just moved in haven't tried using my stationary bike, but I have a suspension that it will flip the breaker also.

Is it normal for a townhouse built in 2016 for an entire second floor to share one 15A circuit?

Old 04-26-21, 03:45 PM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Are you sure it was built in 2016 as opposed to "converted into a condominium" in 2016?The single 15 amp circuit you described is certainly inadequate; you already found that out. You will need to string more wiring to alleviate that problem. You will have to make do with temporaril7y stringing an extension cord from a receptacle on the floor below.

Old 04-26-21, 03:56 PM
J
Received 338 Votes on 291 Posts
The bathroom should have its own 20 breaker by code. The rest of the floor(2 bedroom) would normally be fine on a 15 amp breaker. However you are not using it as bedrooms so it does not meet your needs.

Old 04-26-21, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
The bathroom receptacle should be on its own or shared with the other bathroom receptacles. The circuit should be a 20 amp circuit. Is the breaker that is tripping a single-pole breaker or a two-pole? Is it an AFCI breaker?

A 3 story townhouse that is 1500 square feet is only about 500 sq ft per floor. That is not a lot of space so I could see it being on a single circuit, although I do not think it is ideal. In some cases, it is common to wire the lights and receptacles on two different circuits so you are not left in the dark if a breaker trips.

Portable A/C units draw about 12 amps just on their own so that doesn't leave a lot of amps leftover on a 15 amp circuit. Something like that should be on its own circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: