Solar panel for outdoor lights

Old 04-27-21, 12:22 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar panel for outdoor lights

Existing security lights located at corners seem to be inadequate. I don't know how to neatly run an extension from a corner electrical box to a between-corner location. I wonder if solar is the way to go. One big question I have is about panel output. Can I use 40 volt panel to charge 12v battery? Poor efficiency? I will use mppt charge controller. Thank you.

Old 04-28-21, 10:06 AM
I
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
As long as the MPPT controller is rated for a higher input voltage than the max open-circuit voltage of the solar panel, it will work and be efficient. For example, my Renogy 100w "12v" panel puts out 21.5 volts open-circuit. So I would use a controller rated at 30 or 40 v, just to be sure.

Of course, there are motion-activated solar lights with their own built-in panels. I have several, they work fine, but not suitable if you want to leave them on all night.

Old 04-28-21, 10:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
How much light do you need? I've found motion sensor solar lights work well in certain cases, where you need some decent light - but not "light up a basketball court" level of light - and goes on a handful of times during the night.

Something like this. Not recommending this one in particular, but this style.
https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-.../dp/B07N8Q96KH

If you're looking for lights that are on all night, you probably want to be using a 120v wired light in my opinion at least.

Old 04-28-21, 11:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I found a cracked 400 watt solar panel on offerup cheaper than new 100 W. Thank you for the explanation, MPPT Input V > Panel Open Circuit V.

I don't need the basketball court brightness, just to fill in between 2 corner lights that do not see each other. I will also consider the motion sensored solar lights. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: