Breaker not tripping - defective?

Old 04-28-21, 09:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker not tripping - defective?

Hello all, new guy here. Hoping for some insight.

I recently realized my GE electric oven/microwave combo was on the same circuit as my Whirlpool electric range top w/ downdraft blower. The combo is rated at 30A (model number JK3800SHSS) and the range top is rated to 40A (model number KCED600GBL).

The fact these totaled 70A on a 50A breaker alarmed me. To test, I turned on all cooktops, the blower, the oven, and the microwave expecting it to trip. It did not!

Question: Why would this be the case and should I be worried about a defective breaker?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Sam

Old 04-28-21, 04:18 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
Question: Why would this be the case and should I be worried about a defective breaker?
No not yet breakers have thermal & magnetic trip mechanisms the magnetic is instantaneous and usually only trips from a direct short of hot to hot or any hot to the neutral or ground (if it has one EX: not an older 3-wire circuit) the thermal is time based known as a trip curve the amount of time depends on how great the overload is this is done to allow things with motors to start without tripping immediately.

Make & model of panel and a picture would be helpful also.

Sam Mays voted this post useful.
Old 04-28-21, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
How are you measuring the current draw? Are you just going off the nameplate?

Sam Mays voted this post useful.
Old 04-29-21, 07:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies!!! A couple answers below...

the thermal is time based known as a trip curve the amount of time depends on how great the overload is this is done to allow things with motors to start without tripping immediately.

Make & model of panel and a picture would be helpful also.
I didn't know the time-dependent thermal trip. Thanks! Picture of the panel attached.

How are you measuring the current draw? Are you just going off the nameplate?
I'm going off the nameplate/specs. So I don't have a measured current draw, but I figured (perhaps wrongly) that if I turned on the highest load of every item (oven broiler, highest microwave power, highest setting for all burners, highest blower setting) then I would at least hit the 50A break point.

Old 04-30-21, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
but I figured (perhaps wrongly) that if I turned on the highest load of every item (oven broiler, highest microwave power, highest setting for all burners, highest blower setting) then I would at least hit the 50A break point.
Nope. The 50A is only the rating of the breaker which is sized by the wire installed. Running everything on the stove at full tilt I would be surprised if it was drawing more than 40 amps

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: