Installing Older Generator

Old 05-03-21, 12:02 PM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Installing Older Generator

When I moved, the buyers did not want my generator. So, I brought it with me to my new place. I want to install it. I have a 200A service panel that serves the house, and in that main panel are several 50-100A breakers that serve subpanels which ultimately power various parts of the house. Anyway, I have access to the main panel and have plenty of space. It seems ideal since I can shed a ton of loads with a few flips.

My generator is a GETEC. Powered by a 30HP Lombardini Diesel. Unfortunately, I don't know what the power rating is as the tags are faded beyond recognition. However, the manufacturer has determined it is somewhere between 18kW and 30kW. I had it hooked up before with 6ga wire and a 50A breaker just to be on the safe side.

So, what is the safest and cheapest way to get this hooked up to my new house? I was going to do essentially the same thing, but instead of a 20,000 dollar automatic transfer switch, I was going to go with an interlock. I was also going to put the generator on a pad 20' from the house and run wire with conduit to the panel.

Is there anything I need to know specific to this setup ? Is there anything wrong with the way I am doing this?

I NEED to be able to power my water well and my fridges/freezers, and a 110 portable AC unit. Everything else is small potatoes and not important to me.

Old 05-03-21, 01:05 PM
I
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Interlocks may not be legal where you are located.
Secondly, a transfer switch doesn't have to be all that expensive, you can get a manual one for a few hundred dollars.

Old 05-03-21, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,618 Votes on 1,490 Posts
It seems ideal since I can shed a ton of loads with a few flips.
If you have an automatic transfer generator..... you cannot use the few flip of the breaker method.
Your generator needs to transfer 100% automatically without you being there. That means you may need load shedding controllers.

You could use a manual transfer switch and then have full control over the connections.

Old 05-04-21, 11:00 PM
A
The generator is not automatic. You must heat the glow plugs and start the engine manually. Thats what made having the high end auto transfer switch so ridiculous.

so, the generator is full manual. So why canít an interlock be used? Iíve never known them to be illegal ?

Old 05-05-21, 03:27 AM
I
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
It's up to you to determine if an interlock switch is allowed by code in your area. You may be required to have it installed by a licensed electrician.

An interlock kit is easy to install, and easy for some dummy to un-install in the future, so your power co. may have a rule about this also. Remember, there's an ever-increasing percent of the population who make a box of rocks look intelligent.

Old 05-06-21, 09:23 PM
A
What about a true manual transfer switch? Arenít those pretty cheap? Iím comfortable working with electricity but donít want to rewire a bunch of stuff.

Something like this GE:

Model# TC10323R

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: