No power coming to dryer outlet

Old 05-04-21, 07:02 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power coming to dryer outlet

Hey Everyone. Having an issue with my dryer outlet and I am stumped. It's a 3 prong cord and outlet. Dyer was not coming on (no power at all). I checked the outlet and there is no voltage at all when checking from the holes, or after I took out the outlet and tested with my multimeter directly on the wires. All the wires were snug and no signs of damage,

I checked the breaker box, and the breaker was not tripped. I flipped it off and on with no issue, but no resolution to the power at the dryer. I checked with the multimeter at the breaker terminal and I did get 240v. I took the breaker out (which was a 80 breaker) and inspected it for any damage, but it looks perfectly fine, the lever moved fine as well. I replaced the breaker, expecting this to the issue, but no change.

So I have power to the breaker just fine, but it's not making it's way to the outlet. If this is the breaker, why did the replacement breaker not correct the issue? any thoughts?

Old 05-04-21, 07:19 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Have there been any recent changes to the dryer circuit? Are there any other items connected to the circuit?

Old 05-04-21, 07:26 AM
W
No changes to the circuit and dryer runs on it's own circuit.

Old 05-04-21, 07:59 AM
A
Received 58 Votes on 51 Posts
Should be a double pole 30 amp breaker for a dryer, not an "80" so verify where the cable is actually going.

If one wire (leg) is gone then you won't get the 240v but one will still be 120 to ground. Test from each hot leg to ground - normally 120v on each.

Next you will have to hunt the cable as there might be a junction box in the middle. Possibly an animal chewed through the cable.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-04-21, 08:11 AM
W
Astuff- I should have been more detailed.... the the breaker is a 2 pole 80amp.Why was it an 80 and not a 30? I have no idea. this was installed previously. And I did verify that this breaker is the actual breaker to the dryer.

I just checked again and the both hot to ground are giving 120v.

Checking for a junction box or anything else along the line may have to be my next step

Old 05-04-21, 09:07 AM
A
Received 58 Votes on 51 Posts
A 2 pole 80 amp breaker would normally be a feed for a sub panel. I would look high and low for one.

Also measure at the receptacle hot to ground. For a break normally only one wire is affected and you would still have 120 to ground on one of the legs. If so check the connections on the receptacle. (if you have 120 on both legs but 0 between legs then there is a wiring issue)

Old 05-04-21, 09:10 AM
J
Received 336 Votes on 289 Posts
80 would indicate a sub panel feed or the wrong breaker.
Look for a sub panel. Turn off the 80 amp and see anything else in the house goes off.

Old 05-04-21, 10:04 AM
W
Joed- I double checked the breaker:
  • Turned the 80 off but nothing else in the home went off
  • I do have a subpanel, but this was not feeding to it.
  • The cables are 12g to the breaker and seem to be direct, just for the dryer.
  • All the other breakers are working (nothing tripped, or has an outlet/light/appliance not working). and still no power to the outlet
  • I originally assumed it could have been the wrong breaker labeled (being an 80), but with no power to the outlet I couldn't trace it

Old 05-04-21, 10:38 AM
W
Astuff- So at the receptacle I have no power. I have checked all combinations in case something was switched.

My subpanel is just a bunch of 15amp breakers, so the Dryer is not going there.

I only have like 4 breakers that are over 15amps. I am going to trace and test each one back to the outlet and make sure they are what they say they are (not a lot is identified), and maybe i will get lucky and see something is mislabeled

Old 05-04-21, 03:27 PM
J
You need to rewire the circuit completely.
A dryer circuit should be 30 amps. It should be #10 cable.

12 gauge on a 80 amp breaker is a fire waiting to start. #12 is only rated for 20 amps. It would melt open before the breaker tripped.

Old 05-04-21, 05:10 PM
W
Thanks Joed. I think this is the only way to go. I can't locate the issue, but as you note, the cable needs to be updated.

Thanks everyone for the comments. If I find anything along the way I'll update.

Old 05-04-21, 05:17 PM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
You obviously have either a buried junction box or a subpanel. Regardless you need to install a new circuit with 10-3 NM-B cable and a 4-prong dryer receptacle powered by a 2-pole 30 amp breaker. I know your dryer cord/plug is just 3-prong, but the code changed in 1996 and now all new dryer circuits have to be 4-wire.

Old 05-05-21, 07:20 AM
W
Thank you Everyone for your comments and suggestions.

RESOLVED UPDATE: so I did a big trace back off all the wiring in the panel for any breaker over 15amps. turns out there was a split to the cable hidden that led to a "sub panel" I was not aware of. previous owners basically closed it up and you won't know it was there. I had to remove parts of a ceiling and a wall to trace the cable split back.

Long story short, in that hidden panel was the breaker I needed. How and when the dryer was attached this I have no idea..... but now it is resolved.

Old 05-05-21, 09:15 AM
J
The 12 gauge wire on the dryer still needs to be changed to 10 gauge unless the dryer is on a 20 amp breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: